Thread: Why I Love Opera

Why I Love Opera

Some reasons why I love Opera 6.0 (at least over IE and Netscape, the only others I've used...):

1. It's free.
    2. The tabs at the bottom turn blue when a page is done loading.
    3. Any easily customizable hotlist.
    4. Turning off the images to speed things up.
    5. The transfer window that saves files I haven't finished downloading.
    6. E-mail, messaging, and news, all built in!
    7. One click closes ALL of the windows.
    8. Mouse gestures.
    9. It's got a cool icon.
    10. AO's scrollbar isn't purple.
    11. Search boxes on the main screen.
    12. It's one word.
    13. It's free.

Be sure to add reasons why you love/hate it.
    Why am I still here?

Yes, Opera is a good browser. And those are all great reasons as to why Opera is the superior browser...

But we just did this topic after it was re dragged out of the archives. Follow the LINK......

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    1. It's free.
    Yeah, but I liked it enough to buy it. Worth every penny and supports them. Down with IE!

2. The tabs at the bottom turn blue when a page is done loading.
    They do? I know they highlight when you go over them, but didn't know about the load colors. Guess I better pay attention.

3. Any easily customizable hotlist.
    Yeah, the hotlist is pretty nice, managing bookmarks, contacts, and email.

4. Turning off the images to speed things up.
    Another great thing. Download, download but not show, or neither. Woo!

5. The transfer window that saves files I haven't finished downloading.
    Good if you don't have anything else used as a download utility but good feature built in.

6. E-mail, messaging, and news, all built in!
    Yeah, I like the email. Not one for builtin messaging because it's still new into the theme for browsers but maybe that'll change.

[quote[
    7. One click closes ALL of the windows.[/quote]
    ::nodnod!:: MDIs in an SDI is great!

8. Mouse gestures.
    This feature alone has to be one of the best I've EVER seen or used. Holy crap, once you get used to them, you'll NEVER go to another browser again!

9. It's got a cool icon.
    Yeah, even the icon's good!

Figured I'd support the points already made. It's a great browser, with definite and better support than any other I've seen. Yeah it costs but if you pay for it, it's furthering the cause for better software, something we need more of. And another point I'd like to add is that the opera6.ini file is modifiable, so you can make changes w/o having to know too much about how it works! Like this example to turn off the splash screen:

Show Splash Screen=0

Long live Opera! Down with IE!
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Originally posted by Vorlin

Yeah, Another great thing. Download, download but not show, or neither. Woo!
    I think it is:
    "Download, Display All."
    "Don't Download, Display Cached."
    "Don't Download, Display None."

So that would be "show but not download".

At any rate, I like it, and since I'm a cheapass I'm using the banner-ad version, which they've managed to do tastfully. In 800x600 res, the banner isn't too big.

As for the mouse gestures... I sort of forgot about them. I just ignored it when I started using it, hoping to get around to the more advanced stuff later... Is it sort of like using Graffiti on a palm pilot? I just use the keyboard and 'normal' mouse operation.

I wonder if they'll give you bindable keys soon...

One bug I noticed, not sure if it is page-based or browser-based... Sometimes I'll be typing something inside a form, and whenever I try to click on another area, the screen will automatically scroll back to the form, and I can't seem to get around it. It's intermittent, though.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

But we just did this topic after it was re dragged out of the archives.
    I know. That's why I did this. I didn't want it at the bottom of that thread.
    Why am I still here?

I just downloaded and installed 6.0 today and so far I love it.

1. Free
    2. Easy to custumize
    3. has alot of features that are really good
    4. And many more
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]