Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a good path...

Is this a good path...

Hi all. Well i was just thinking tonight that i should start in the very beggining. Check out this path of learning i have made :

1. Computer History
    2. Computer Language History
    3. Unix & Linux History
    4. Open Source History
    5. Internet History
    6. Hacker History
    7. Windows History

What you guys think? I think its always good to know your history, being a hacker isn't only about security is it?

Well... Cheers!
    Knowledge is Power!

--

See that no one renders to anyone evil for evil, but always pursue what is good for one another and for all. - 1 Thessalonians 5:15 -

Yes indeed, history is very important. During HAL 2001 even during hacking quiz they asked questions regarding history.
    I am quite good in it myself.
    Ask me any historical thing you wanna know.

It's always good to know the history and background of anything, and I find that the history of computing is pretty interesting. Several of my classes while I was attending college were partly computing history in some form or another. If you are looking to post these types of things on your new website, it would be a pretty good idea. I would suggest that if you are going to try to put a ton of different stuff like that up, you'd need to recruit people knowledgeable in each area so you can have the best of all worlds.
    - Maverick

Great!
    Well i could use a list of books or sites. Im planning to make a really big newbie library, like a big place where any kind of newbie can find answers. Thats my dream. I Hope i can accomplish it.

I also need help on understanding and interpreting the english language, you see im latin, i just need some web site references with information on reading skills and such.

The site will also take some time to put up since im doing my own reading. I'll try to start with the history pages. Their's a lot of work to do. I just need to keep looking for good history texts, i'll try some virtual libraries also. Well anyone that can help is going to be very appreciated.

Thanks All!
    Knowledge is Power!

--

See that no one renders to anyone evil for evil, but always pursue what is good for one another and for all. - 1 Thessalonians 5:15 -

One suggestion for learning stuff is to go through the tutorials forum. For learning about history your best bet would be to goto your local library. I cant think of any sites off hand.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

I myself, enjoy history, all types. And just for fun, here's a fairly simple history question.

How did the term "Computer Bug" come about?

Well, for being Latin, you sure write in English quite well. Better than most who have been taught it as their native language! But I suppose we can blame our public schools here for that. Any ways, for Hacker istory, I would like to suggest a book called Cyber Punk by John Markoff I belive. I am pretty sure that was the author, but I cant recall. I think it may be out of print, but I am sure you could find it at amazon.com for a cheap price. It is an interesting book about some of the more notorious hackers of the older days. Old skool hackers like Kevin, and Robert Morris, etc. Could be worth a read for you.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Yeah, I'd say that's a pretty good start in the right direction of wanting to learn about computers although you'll find that generally speaking, there's no defined path once you get into the work field. It all applies to what you're doing as a job, what you want to learn, and what you set your limitations to. I mean, myself, as a unix administrator, I could very well do nothing but study PA-Risc and Solaris hardware (maybe even the Motorola chips) and know absolutely nothing about Windows or x86 architecture. I don't choose that though because it's good to know a wide variety of things in the computer field from programming to html to how your pc works (or doesn't work).

And to think, when I saw your post, my first thought was "Path...well, $PATH is passed off to the shell when login hands the session off and is read generally from something like /etc/PATH as well as /etc/MANPATH..." (generally points how much of a loser I am sometimes on these thread posts)...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Originally posted by gstudios
    I myself, enjoy history, all types. And just for fun, here's a fairly simple history question.

How did the term "Computer Bug" come about?
    I likely won't get this entirely correct, but I'll give it a shot. The first computer (can't remember what its name was but it was a big sucker), was being worked on. The developers were have some problems and couldn't figure out what was going on. They started opening up the huge machine and found a Moth had gotten 'fried' onto one of the circuit boards. - "The First Computer Bug".

hmmmmm don't hit me with - points if I am wrong but I think the name of that early computer was "Univac" It wasn't exactly the first one though.