Hello everyone!

I figured since I've been the local science-news geek recently, I'd bring you this interesting little article about a new development in game theory and its possible uses in Peer 2 Peer programs (think Kazaa, Morpheus, etc..). You can find the full article: here

Basically, a researcher has found that society in general cooperates by punishing those who "free-load," or who use the resources, but don't contribute anything of their own volition (I can think of some people on this message board that this applies to ). The thought is that if a punishment system were instituted in a cooperative system, people wouldn't be tempted to "free-load," so to speak, and there would be more participation. This means that just grabbing MP3s from another computer via Kazaa and not sharing anything of your own would eventually lead to a download limit, or some other such punishment for their lack of participation.

This is very similar to AntiOnline's AntiPoint system, but one could argue that AntiPoints have very little consequence to users who don't care about adding to these forums; what do they care if others don't think highly of them?

It is even possible to maybe institute this punishment system in computer and network security to make sure that people keep up with patches or good security practices.

This sort of system could be implemented in just about any situation where participation and cooperation is necessary for the good of the system. By the way, one of the major reasons I'm posting this at all is because I recently saw "A Beautiful Mind," which is basically the biography of John Nash who made one of the leading theories in Game Theory which is used today in all sorts of economic and war situations.

Regards,
Wizeman