Thread: Over Clocking

Over Clocking

How many of you Over Clock your CPU's?

I run a 366 mhz Celeron CPU, Over Clocked to 550 mhz. And it has ran just fine for the past 2-3 years. Also, does anyone know of the best and cheapest CPU to Over Clock to get "today's" speeds?
    Please, don't post links to over-clocking sites. Because I know of them, and am just asking for the AO Community's opinions.

Nothing personal, but I do not understand what so many ppl. see in overclocking, just get a better processor.
    ****ing over your system just for that extra speed (for small calculations) and it costs more to cool the system.
    These morons can't think of anything better to do either www.tweakers.net

Nothing personal, but I do not understand what so many ppl. see in overclocking, just get a better processor. ****ing over your system just for that extra speed (for small calculations) and it costs more to cool the system.
    Yes, you could get a better processor, but that wouldn't nearly be as fun. Especially when you could save $50-$100 . And as to "****ing over your system" I haven't met anyone who has fried their computer because of OC'ing. But that of course doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I spent an extra $15 to get a better CPU fan, and that is it. Where's the extra cooling costs?

Anyway, your post wasn't taken personally. I just wanted to state some of my experiences that rivalled your post.

AMD over Intel is always a sure shot. I actualy surprised that you can run a 366 at 550. What benchmark software do you use?
    Dear Santa, I liked the mp3 player I got but next christmas I want a SA-7 surface to air missile

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    IMHO: overclocking does nothing for you except void your warrant and possibly give you a higher speed (at cost of stability). Hopefully nothing blows up on you like I've seen in the past. What I would do is get an AMD Thunderbird and a #2 pencil (you can "break" the multiplier by playing 'connect the dots' on the top of the proc where the core is). Not sure the exact way for this though...what would be safer would be to get a decent proc, like the AMD Thunderbird @ 1 gig, a good sized heatsink (something like the Volcano 5/7 from ThermalTake), and plenty of silver-based thermal grease (the really good stuff), and last but not least, a motherboard (like the Epox 8KHA or 8K7A) that has software multiplier/clock speed settings. You'd probably be able to get the proc to maybe 1200 or so, not sure.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Having never overclocked a PC myself, I can't say too much about it - I can only comment on what I've read and seen from others; I really don't see the point in it. Some friends of mine have overclocked before, but they went through a lot of hassle with trial and error to find the settings that worked - in the end, there was not a whole lot of speed that was gained. But thats not to say that others haven't had better luck because I'm sure they have.
    - Maverick

Arrow hmm..

You see, Overclocking is a hobby.. Much like street racers custom their cars.. It may void warranty, burn up your board, etc..

It seems appealing to me to overclock.. But I have never been a fan of AMD processors.. They seem very unstable and unreliable.. (I am around amd's and intel processors all day)

The goal of overclocking is getting the most out of your processor before becoming unstable..
    ------------EViLSEED
    Hackers are impervious. Resistant is futile.

I personally have no use for overclocking. Tom's Hardware has a nice tutorial and part buying guide at this link:http://www6.tomshardware.com/guides/overclocking/

Originally posted by Vorlin
    , and plenty of silver-based thermal grease (the really good stuff),

This reminds me of the time I attached a heatsink to the cpu without the use of thermal paste. I just assumed that thermal paste was some kind of gimmick designed to rid me of my last few dollars. The box in question was a HP Pavillion which are renowned for their poor heat dissipating properties.

Well, that box had less than ten minutes of uptime before it crashed and burn't. I now have a never ending supply of thermal paste.

Back to the topic- I've also read (at IamNotaGeek) that overclocking, in some instances, can actually reduce processor speed....Anyone else ever heard of this?