Thread: Please Help Me

Question Please Help Me

Please Help Me. I posted a message asking help on how to get an IP Address from an email sent to me. I was told to check the heading and I right clicked on it and then I was even more confused. Can someone please tell me step to step how to find and Ip Address from an email that was sent to me? Thank You very much

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    In all that jumble of the header, you should see a "From" field. Take this information and shove it through nslookup. To do that, do this:

1: open up a command prompt (start->run->command)
    2: run 'nslookup name_here'

That should give you some information about where it came from. Also, you could shove it through visualroute 6 and see where it came from on the map.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

IP

your mail account should have, in its options, how to have the header displayed...choose 'Advanced'...depending on what service you use, you will see a big mess of numbers and letters, but the first IP after the 'From:' should be the IP that originated the message.

As far as tracing it, routewise, i'd try Visual Trace from McAfee...it'll usually give you the location, network, and name of the account holder.

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

do you use linux. it's much better to use linux on looking ip's. however, if your using 'pine' you can view its ip address in the 'mbox' located to your $HOME directory. all of it's content and information about the email is stored here. that's why it should not be deleted. another way is to look at /var/pool/mail directory all of the information about the email is there. just like 'pine' but i prefer to use pine!
    \"The more you ignore me... the closer i get!\"

go to SamSpade.org, they've got some very in depth tuterials on tracking e-mail
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

================================
    Return-Path: <info@ >>>>catalyst.com<<<< >
    Delivered-To: me
    Received: (qmail 4174 invoked from network); 10 Jan 2002 23:46:11 -0000
    Received: from mail.>>>>catalyst.com<<<< (128.242.217.170)
    by mail2.wlv.netzero.net with SMTP; 10 Jan 2002 23:46:11 -0000
    Received: from web2797.dn.net by catalyst.com
    with SMTP (MDaemon.v3.5.7.R)
    for <me>; Thu, 10 Jan 2002 16:21:47 -0500
    Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 19:25:45 -0500

=================================

look for the line that has a match for the domain name in the "return path" i've marked it >>>> <<<< to make it easy to see. its easy for some one to spoof the names but the ip address in parens is usually correct.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”