Thread: First .NET Virus : W32/Donut

First .NET Virus : W32/Donut

A virus has been discovered which infects .NET executables. The virus is harmless it would seem, and seems to be another proof of concept virus.
    There is a 1 in 10 chance that the virus alerts a user when an infected program is executed.

Quote from ENT News
    Thankfully, the potential impact of the W32/Donut .NET virus is mitigated, antivirus vendors say, by its relative harmlessness. W32/Donut infects other .NET executables (.EXE) but does not stay resident in memory. And unlike many of today’s viruses, it won’t attempt to exploit a user’s e-mail to distribute itself, but must be distributed manually or downloaded from a Web site or network share. Finally, antivirus vendors say, W32/Donut doesn’t do any other damage to a user’s local PC, either.
    Additional Articles.
    Virus writers take an early crack at .Net
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Thumbs up

It's good to see virus alerts back @ AntiOnline...Does anyone else see the irony in being a member of a security site but having to go elsewhere to get virus alerts?

Antivirus Stuff...

Funny, that ... I am AV certified and I do security work ... and I'm told that I'm odd. <sigh> So shoot me if I *demand* that our workstations / MX / servers have AV software!

~N~

fyi...the actual name of the v is dotNET by Benny/29A
    ...them fun folks at symantec renamed it w32/donut...hungry i guess they was...good write up at sarc tho...

might also want a look a js.gigger. happy little format c: jscript...props by mirc and wait for it...outlook...can you imagine...

I was reading up on the dotNET virus last night, but I am unsure about hat the net files actually are. I try to avoid MS products at all costs, so I am a little unfamiliar with what these files are used for. Part of an MS database or something?

.NET is the future of the INTERNET!!...(ya know...the one al gore invented...)

actually it's m$ attempt to make everyone completely and utterly insane by taking over the server world...and then requiring everyone to get a fulltime job as a .NETPatchApplicator

if you want to find out what they have to say...
    http://www.microsoft.com/net/