Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plzzzz...stop the blink

plzzzz...stop the blink

there was a reason that netscape deprecated the <blink> tag...it's <annoying>...i'd be real pleased if you'd just set the new message notification light bulbs to solid...nonblinking yellow when there's new...and clear when not...

good thing i'm not prone to seizures...i'd have never made it

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    All you have to do is disable gif animations, which is what that is. It's not actually blinking (I don't think so anyways). I run Opera 6.0 and IE at work (blasted whores won't let me run O6) and disabling gif animations doesn't show anything, which is good. But yes, I agree, it's slightly annoying.

Hope this helps.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

well...i know they're gif's and i know i <could> turn em off...but as a web designer...i always try to design sites that avoid making users do something <special> for a site...either to make it work...or to make it more pleasant...i've been around the web way too long and seen too many abuses of design...

btw...this is <NOT> a criticism of this site...it is one of the best message board systems i've ever used...jv could probably sell it as a package...as the young folk say round here...it rocks...

oh...and to the pleasant person who called me a jerk...(and gave me my first anti points..!.)...for making a suggestion ...in the uh..site suggestion section...well....ppppphhhffffffttttttt!

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Dude, someone gave you negative points and called you a jerk for that suggestion? Man, that sucks. You'll notice a lot of the people who don't really offer good **** on here will do that, just to be an otherwise pain in the ass. But it'll all be good.

And no, that wasn't me. I always sign my name with a reason.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

ya...well...i thought it was kinda funny actually...guess some people are really attached to the blinky things in life...

hmmm...maybe i'll make another suggestion...how about non-anonymous comments on the antipoint system...hehe...

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Hehe, that's been suggested but someone high up apparently thinks that anonymity is a good thing to have or that the freedom of choice is better than having a name auto-attached. Personally, I think there should be a name attached automatically, even if no reason is given. Why? Because too much abuse comes to mind on how to cause strife amidst the boards and such.

Senior since the 3 dot era

Nice but slow

Indeed this forum is nice, but slow...
    especially last week it's extremly slow
    (I use a xDSL connection so that's not the prob...)

help! I had to switch to no image browsing to even see the AO pages. the advantage is that the blinky things are gone too.

Re: Nice but slow

Originally posted by VictorKaum
    Indeed this forum is nice, but slow...
    especially last week it's extremly slow
    (I use a xDSL connection so that's not the prob...)

I know this is a little off topic but I have to agree. The site has been incredibly slow over the last few weeks...

Just yesterday I couldn't even get the home page to load and that's with all images turned off.

Also, the "little blinky lights" can be quite annoying but rather simple to turn off as previously stated.

Senior since the 3 dot era

Re: Re: Nice but slow

Originally posted by Conf1rm3d_K1ll

Just yesterday I couldn't even get the home page to load and that's with all images turned off.
    I had the same going on... I used Visualtrace to locate the prob and couldn't even connect to AO????

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Oops , guess I'll have to turn off that backdoored p0rn server!