Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Viruses

Banned

Viruses

Last week I did a virus scan on my computer.... Turns out I had 478 viruses
    Most of the tricky little buggers were WIN95.CIH These little guys infected almost all my files... Its a 1kbyte virus that 'bombs' my computer on April 26... I lost 2 hard drives to this sucker before I found him... And when I installed a clean copy of WindowsME without connectiong to the internet or anything,.. I did a virus scan and and they weres till there... Coincidence or something more ?

Re: Viruses

Originally posted by ac1dsp3ctrum
    Last week I did a virus scan on my computer.... Turns out I had 478 viruses
    I assume you mean you had just the one virus with 478 files infected.
    Originally posted by ac1dsp3ctrum
    And when I installed a clean copy of WindowsME without connectiong to the internet or anything,.. I did a virus scan and and they weres till there... Coincidence or something more ?
    Impossible! I'm also assuming you formatted before "the clean install?"...If so, where did you get the copy of ME?

One point to consider is that Windoze Me keeps a copy of everything (infected files as well) in the system restore folder. So if you just used sys restore it's automatically going to re install the virus..

Senior since the 3 dot era

Re: Viruses

First: You not only need to check your HDD but also all your writable removable media like FLoppy's, CD-R's, ZIP disks...

Second: If the viruses is memory resident you need to reboot with a clean (viruses free) floppy and perform a virusscan to be sure it has been removed. You need to perform a scan that also scans the memory, the boot sectors and the master boot sector.

Then if your system is able to boot clean you can install some windows to it...

I lost 2 hard drives to this sucker before I found him...
    how did you "lose" them? i hope you don't mean you through them out because you thought they were ruined. i had one of my boxes infected with that same virus and it did it's thing on the 26th, and i was able to eradicate it with NAV (2000 edition none the less)

And when I installed a clean copy of WindowsME without connectiong to the internet or anything
    What do you mean you installed a "clean copy"? did you format first or something. i hope not cause NAV and McAffey can both remove that virus. it's been around for quite some time (97 or 98 i believe, but don't quote me)

hope everything works out for you

Banned
    Ohh... I formatted my hard drive because when I use Norton my Windowze wouldnt start lol... And no.. I didnt throw out my hard drives.. I mean I had to reinstall Windows on 2 seperate hard drive because of the virus

I'm not familiar with that virus, but I'd say first to go ahead and reformat you entire system, all drives, etc. Install a clean OS, then install your antivirus software. Make sure the scan engines and .dat files are up to date, then run a complete scan. WinMe does keep a copy of your system, including the infected files - I'd move to a different OS if possible, if you want to stick with Windows I'd look at installing 2000 Pro - and in the future, make sure your viral software is up to date and that you are performing routine system scans.

Hope this helps...
    - Maverick

Originally posted by Maverick811
    I'm not familiar with that virus, but I'd say first to go ahead and reformat you entire system, all drives, etc.

What kind of advice is that!? My God man! What are you saying? Just lay down and let the virus win? NEVER!

As for not hearing of it, it's very similar to Chernobyl and Win95.spaces (which spread through our network like a dose of crabs spreads through the Navy)....

As Sir Winston Churchill said- "We will fight them on the beaches, we will fight them in the air, WE SHALL NEVER SURRENDER!"....or something similar..

Also, I found a simple, downloadable tool to get rid of the virus. You can find it here.....

Originally posted by Conf1rm3d_K1ll

What kind of advice is that!? My God man! What are you saying? Just lay down and let the virus win? NEVER!

As for not hearing of it, it's very similar to Chernobyl and Win95.spaces (which spread through our network like a dose of crabs spreads through the Navy)....

As Sir Winston Churchill said- "We will fight them on the beaches, we will fight them in the air, WE SHALL NEVER SURRENDER!"....or something similar..

Also, I found a simple, downloadable tool to get rid of the virus. You can find it here.....
    You're right Conf1rm3d_K1ll, normally anyone would just run antivirus to get rid of the virus (especially since it is an older virus) - I was just mentioning what I said because he's already formatted the drive at least once. We all know that ME isn't really the greatest OS in the world (like all put out by Microsoft) - it would be good if he could stop using ME.

But I agree with the fighting spirit!
    - Maverick

System restore

Don't use ME myself, but I understand it is easy to disable this 'feature'.

I would have thought that the easiest approach would be to disable System restore. Then reboot from a clean floppy/CD and check that the boot sector/memory are OK. Then start Windows and scan your HDDs. Clean any viruses found, and shutdown.

Then repeat the above, and see if it is still clean. If so, you should have killed it. I'm sure that would work for such an old virus, but if not you can always reach for the format command anyway!

WIN95.CIH These little guys infected almost all my files... Its a 1kbyte virus that 'bombs' my computer on April 26... I lost 2 hard drives to this sucker before I found him...
    <stong><slap></slap>[/b]

hate to say this but you probably deserve what you get...i mean cih or chernobyl as it is more often known by is like YEARS old...virtually any av prog would have picked it up even ones with defs that are years old...

imho-it's irresponsible for any not to have up to date av progs and defs...

but just so ya don't think i'm all bad...here's a tip...if you lose a drive to cih...there IS a fix to recover it your data.......goto http://grc.com/cih.htm..steve gibson as tossed up a utility to get your hd back....there's also a good exp of cih...course if ya don't scan your hd with av you'll still be infected...but you'll have your data and progs back