Thread: how does it work (i mean connecting to FTP:) ?

Question how does it work (i mean connecting to FTP:) ?

hi all,

my internet provider runs his ftp server which can be accessed only by computers connected to net by this provider. when I acces this ftp server using IE then I normally log on (no asking fo user name, no asking for password) but when I tried to connect through windows commander and its ftp then the servers asked me for user name and password..

my question is why I don't need login/passwd when connecting with IE but I need it when connecting with other FTP clients?? simply said how does it work?)

thanx in advance...

Re: how does it work (i mean connecting to FTP:) ?

Originally posted by sun7dots
    my question is why I don't need login/passwd when connecting with IE but I need it when connecting with other FTP clients?? simply said how does it work?)
    What's the address for that ftp-server? Does IE give you the list of the files in that directory?
    Someone else might have accessed that server with IE before, and IE then just does the form auto-completion -thing (which I have turned off - I will NOT trust my passwords to IE...)... Or the ISP might have misconfigured the server somehow.

-ZeroOne
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

Did you try to log on as anonymous? Don't know much about IE except that it is a microsoft product and that implies 'make it easy for the poor little user who knows nothing about computers'. IE might have tried to log on as anonymous. If not, log onto the server with IE and, once logged on, click file and check 'Login'. It should tell you what user name you are using.

HTH,

cold_connection
    -Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate-

Smile

Thanx for help...

I tried to connect there as anonymous and it worked. (funny thing is that I tried many logins as name of the provider etc.. but didn't tried this obvious thing)

So if I get it right, when IE is connecting to some FTP server then it simply tries anonymous login. Right?

Thanx for all help ZeroOne and cold_connection :P

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Connecting through a browser for ftp transfers is otherwise known as 'anonymous web ftp' where you can see files and drag/drop them onto your desktop. Depending on the permissions, you can restrict people to read only access, write access (they can delete or add files to your directory)... Generally, the login is anonymous, with the password set as your email and even that can be changed.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.