Thread: Vpn

Banned

Question Vpn

Its been a while since ive posted a question but here goes

There is a co-worker at work and he has a laptop and he connects with @home service at his house. He brings his laptop to work and wants to connect ti to the DSL service we recently got.

I know how to do this but i dont know how to make it so that he can connect to home and then to work without changing any configuration because he is not so computer literate.

I was told in IRC that VPN could help me with this but im not quite sure how so i would love it if someone helped me out

Thanks

implement DHCP?

The question is kin of vague but from what I can gather all you need to do is set up DHCP.

Is the @home connection DHCP? If it is then enable DHCP on your DSL router and be done with it.

If it isn't then maybe you should use two NICs in the laptop. One for @home and then slide the other in when he's at work and set-up two profiles in Win2k. One to boot @home and one for work. just an idea. if you want to clarify the question I could probably answer it better.

However, I'm corn-fused by the VPN commecnt....
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

agreed...DHCP is the answer, not VPN. I too am a little confused by that suggestion. If he uses a static ip, you might want to create a script that will prompt the user for either at home or at work, and have the script change all the IP settings each time.

I too am somewhat confused by the question; perhaps a little more information is needed? However, I agree with KorpDeath - if DHCP is enabled, then he'll recieve an IP address when he logs on, at either location and you want have to much to worry about. The idea of two network cards isn't bad either, one for the two locations.

The main reason to use a VPN connection is to enable a machine to create a tunnel to another network. But from our understanding of the question, your asking what's the easiest way to setup his laptop to recieve internet service from home and work without changing much. Right? If so, VPN wouldn't have anything to do with it.
    - Maverick

Banned

no DHCP

The cable doesnt run on DHCP it runs on a wierd thing where it logs in by the computer name and then gives it an IP..... it doesnt use windows DHCP, thats my problem, i guess a seccond NIC would solve it, i was hoping there could be something else.

If you can find out exactly what is running to assign those IP's we may be able to be of better help. However, if you do decide to go with another network card, that's not a bad solution. You can get a card for a laptop fairly cheap, I don't think I paid more than $20/$25 dollars for the card in my laptop.
    - Maverick

Banned

Thanks

Yeah the easyst will most likely be the new NIC, i dont know exactly what it does but i know that his current one retreives the IP by the name thats set to the computer (in the network prefrences) and i dont go to his house so i dont know how hes exactly set up

Of course the cable does not use windows DHCP. What you have to do is get a DSL/Cable router that will sit on the users network. That router will automatically get the cable providers dynamic IP address and you are free to use any IP addresses you want inside your network. Almost all DSL/cable routers will also do DHCP which will work with a windows machine. For Example

INTERNET
    |
    |
    Cable Modem
    |
    |
    DSL/Cable Router
    (has 2 IP's one assigned by the ISP,
    and the other a private subnet)
    |
    |
    INTERNAL LAN
    (Uses DHCP address assigned by the router)

By using this scenario, you will be able to use a single NIC and leave DHCP enabled on it so it will grab the proper network settings whether at home or at work.