Thread: question about SMTP server

Question question about SMTP server

HI ALL!)

we run smtp server on our home server... i have two questions - when I try to manually send the mail everything's ok
    mail from:...
    rcpt to:....
    data:....

the problem is that when I get that mail (i simply tried on me how does it work, I don't send mail to myself usually) fields as subject, from and for was unfilled. And I wonder how can I do it so that fields would be normally filled as in normal mail. You know there should be some other SMTP commands or something to do that...

the other question is that we do not allow relying for other users than us. but we do allow relying for us and we do that with allowing sphere of ips 192.168.0.* my question is if ips beggining with 192 are reserved for LANs so we can be sure that noone could rely through our server from outside our net...

So if anyone know please help

Thanx in advance

dont do it manually, use a mail client and set your smtp sever as both the pop and smtp servers. if your sending mail from the computer the smtp server is on config the client to use 127.0.0.1
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

when I'm using mail client everythings ok but I'm just curious how could I do it because I was looking for that on internet and didn't find that... and even a mail clients has to send to SMTP server some kind of command that fill this fields. SO I wonder what command is that.

And I'm not sending it from that computer I do it from comp connected to our local net with IP 192.168.. and I'd like to know if this range of IPs is reserved for LANs so only we can do relying and noone from outside.

I'd like to know if this range of IPs is reserved for LANs so only we can do relying and noone from outside.
    The range of ip addresses reserved for private networks, as of July last year (2001) is:
    10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
    172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
    192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255
    169.254.0.0 to 169.254.255.255

These addresses aren't valid on the internet and as such routers shouldn't route them.

As for your question about smtp commands - if you're desperate to know about the various commands then look up the rfc for smtp - using a mua is much handier tho.

Finally you didn't mention which mta you were using but if its exchange 5.5 then you may still open to relaying - there was something on bugtraq a while ago where someone had exchange 5.5 with up to date service packs, explicitly set ip's to relay for and a firewall and they still found themselves unwittingly sending spam - the safest thing to do in those circumstances is to upgrade - if not to qmail or something linux/unix based then at least to exchange 2000.

Use:- subject: text here followed by a blank line

Originally posted by krang
    Use:- subject: text here followed by a blank line
    I've already found how to do that but thanks anyway

Bye !

Originally posted by sun7dots

I've already found how to do that but thanks anyway

Bye !
    It's like this:

[chsh@comp chsh]$ telnet targethost 25
    Trying XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX...
    Connected to targethost.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 target.host.com ESMTP
    ehlo targethost
    250-target.host.com
    mail from: "Bill The Cat" <billthecat@hotmail.com>
    250 ok
    rcpt to: "Fozzy Bear" <fbear@muppets.com>
    250 ok
    data
    354 go ahead
    Subject: Been a long time...

Hi there Fozzy, it's been a long time.
    Have lots of fun.

Bill
    250 ok
    That should fill in the subject field for you, as well as setup the friendly display names of the people you're chatting with.

Have fun.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?