Thread: DSL failover on a Cisco 2621

Red face DSL failover on a Cisco 2621

In my humble opinion, this is security related since it involves a router. The config on said Cisco 2621 has two routes, for two different ISP's which are accessed by two different xDSL routers.

Take this scenario... the core router at ISP#1 fails, which is three hops away from the xDSL router, as defined in the Cisco 2621 config. It doesn't know to 'failover' to ISP#2 unless one and physically goes and pulls the serial connection out of the router which connects it to the xDSL modem for ISP#1.

There has to be a way to create redundancy without using dodgy methods. Any ideas?

zac

What routing protocol are you using? I'm fairly certain that you can do what you are asking, but it requires the use of certain routing protocols (I believe EIGRP and OSPF)...

Regards,
    Wizeman
    \"It\'s only arrogrance if you can\'t back it up, otherwise it is confidence.\" - Me

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    I'm going to hazard a guess and ask "What about failover based on timeout?". We do that method as well to physical heartbeat failing between oracle database servers on HP running ServiceGuard. We add in a timeout so that even if the network card with the heartbeat is active, if it times out for whatever reason (not sure on the time), it'll failover to the second machine and pass the package.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

If you create a floating static route which has a higher cost than
    the routing protocol, it will kick in when the eigrp/igrp/etc cost
    goes infinite

regards

Very useful information, thanks for your help gentlemen!