Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where am I?

Where am I?

I have no direction, my persuit of understanding Linux has kind of hit a wall. The "steps" of my learning have been lost. I have larger goals but they all are diverted by the misterious workings of things I know nothing about. My lack of understanding of the actual Linux system and it's workings with an understanding of the capabilities of it's commands has me "Staggering in the dark". What the deal is is I dont see "small steps" in learning Linux. I cant seem to find what I'm looking for either. I'm never satisfied with what I'm reading and I cant seem to figure it out on my own. I'm looking to set up a LAN at my house and well right now it's a little bit off. I know Win well but it's not that great I can already see it doesnt have the capabilities Linux has. I started getting into Shell Scripting and stuff like that, also learning how to program in C. I know those things are good and everything but is it the time you think?

Right now I can navigate the system and everything using either the x11 interface or without. I can manage files and stuff like that with or without it... I'm there, that is all I know and I dont have a direction. DOS pretty much stops at that and I dont have the direction from people here so I come to you. What steps or areas should I concern investigation and trial?

Thanks

Another one, so many of you think learning Linux is it. Well guess again if you "hit the wall" allready, then you are pretty much at the end of the ride. If you are not willing to figure stuff out then you might want to take a Linux course, expensive, but hey they guide you.
    Or you could join one of the many Linux clubs out there and talk to like minded people or even follow special classes they setup for newbies.

try reading..

An old saying goes: RTFM

that stands for: Read the f#%$ing manual

P.S. Will there be anyone to tell me if I was getting STUPIDER?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

... purpose ....

There is an old saying: "If you aim at nothing, you'll hit it every time."

It sounds like you're just spinning your wheels w/o a purpose.
    WHY do you want to compute? What are you curious about?

If you "have larger goals" break them down into smaller, more achievable steps or ask for help on those.

What are other ppl on the boards asking questions about that you want to investigate and learn on your own?

Have you downloaded StarOffice from Sun? Do you know it inside out and backwards?

Do you want to design systems or use systems?

Cruise through the Tutorials Index put together by Negative:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=133897

- Do you want to write applications for others? What kind?
    - Do you want to do "more" with your system? What?
    - Can your system interact with other systems?

Ask yourself your own questions. Lurk on IRC and see what others are working on...see if anything picques your interest.

Let your curiosity lead you.

----

....... (this may be from Pooh or Dr. Suess or other ) .....

Where am I going? I don't quite know.
    Anywhere, anywhere the wind may blow.

Up to the hilltops where the Pine trees grow.
    Down to valley where streams do flow.

Where am I going? I don't quite know.
    Anywhere, anywhere the wind may blow.

----
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-==-=
    Noah built the ark BEFORE it rained.

http://ld.net/?rn

Another old saying goes: "Only those who dare to fail greatly, can ever achieve Greatly"

Listen to the wise words from niboreon and don't give up it's a new day tomorrow

As the Great Buckaroo Bonzai said......
    Remember, wherver you go, there you are.

Importance of StarOffice?

I checked it out and that is only a few apps like word processor etc... I am not interested in being just a "user". What exactly is the point of knowing it inside and out? My ultimate direction in learning Linux is to know the system inside and out, not necissarly the programs, and able to modify all of it. I have to learn C in there some where but that isnt something, I dont think, that has to occur first. I am setting up a network in my house now and I'm going to learn networking etc... I'm also getting my CCNA soon, about to take the traning course for the exam. My Linux understanding is kind of based on my knowledege of Windows. I know dos and how things run in that enviroment and to the extent dos goes, I know using the terminal. I tried to think of smaller steps in my ultimate goal and I have got some ideas of what might be plausable but I dont know what is necissary.

For those who care, I do read, I do lookup information before I post. My issue is in "order". Should I be learning how to modify the system, should I be looking into finding out more uses of what I already have, should I be starting to get the network all set up and work on making that run and learn that aspect... is C my next course of action? What I want to know is, what is the best order to achieve the most. What works in succession? Is there an order that I should work this?

Thank you for your replys and critisism.

What

No more help? Does no one understand what I am asking?

Re: Importance of StarOffice?

Originally posted by Tuskin
    I checked it out and that is only a few apps like word processor etc... I am not interested in being just a "user". What exactly is the point of knowing it inside and out? My ultimate direction in learning Linux is to know the system inside and out, not necissarly the programs, and able to modify all of it. I have to learn C in there some where but that isnt something, I dont think, that has to occur first. I am setting up a network in my house now and I'm going to learn networking etc... I'm also getting my CCNA soon, about to take the traning course for the exam. My Linux understanding is kind of based on my knowledege of Windows. I know dos and how things run in that enviroment and to the extent dos goes, I know using the terminal. I tried to think of smaller steps in my ultimate goal and I have got some ideas of what might be plausable but I dont know what is necissary.

For those who care, I do read, I do lookup information before I post. My issue is in "order". Should I be learning how to modify the system, should I be looking into finding out more uses of what I already have, should I be starting to get the network all set up and work on making that run and learn that aspect... is C my next course of action? What I want to know is, what is the best order to achieve the most. What works in succession? Is there an order that I should work this?

Thank you for your replys and critisism.

Learning is not linear. What is your goal? You want to end up in IT? You want to program? These are questions you need to answer, you can't ask someone else to point in any particular direction cause then you're living someone elses life.

Just learn about what interests you. Is that so hard to understand. Don't get me wrong I'm jumpin' down your throat but the absolute last place I'd look for educational advise is a chat board.

This should be used more a source of reference than a guiding light for education. See?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

schism

Set bounds to our passions by reason, to our errors by truth, and to our schisms by charity. --Eikon Basilike.

Tuskin: You eat an elephant one bite at a time. You want to delve into the depths of you operating system... you want to program ... you want to know networking ...
    ...no wonder you feel overwhelmed.

Take it one step at a time. You've got another 60 or 70 years of existance to occupy! A good place to start might be with getting a job in an ops center or at a reapair shop or doing QA and start investigating different facets of the field.

Spend about 1/2 hour a day programming, just to setup the discipline. Then spend another 1/2 hour investigating something. Keep an engineering journal - set up "experiments" with your different questions - form hypothesis. Just log stuff .... don't worry too much about finding all the answers at once. Then tackle each as a separate project....rome wasn't built in a day....you'll get there
    Noah built the ark BEFORE it rained.

http://ld.net/?rn