Thread: Lan set-up.

Question Lan set-up.

Just thought that I would ask this Q here before calling service at AOL (America On Line).
    I have set up a lan, win98se conncted to a Win2000pro. The web via dial-up, through the win98. Now when I sign on to AOL I get a mesage screen saying that they do no allow that kind of connection?? After a few attempts I can connect! Any ideas?
    Thanks JIFFYPROGASM.
    KNOWLEDGE IS OF TWO KINDS: We know a subject ourselves or we know where to find information upon it. SAMUEL JOHNSON

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Seems they might be trying to make sure nobody piggy-backs onto AOL through a network (one PC dials in, everyone else proxies off that PC), although 56k proxy would suck it up pretty bad. That's all I can think of. Glad you broke through. Break the chains of AO-HELL!
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

It definately sounds like AOL is trying to block multiple users per account. It's the same principle that high-speed internet providers use - alot of times they frown upon subscribers sharing one cable or dsl connection between two PC's.

But back to the point - that's interesting that if you keep at it, you can get through in a few trys. It's like AOL isn't blocking that sort of access full time. I don't know why it would be like this. On the Win98 box, if you simply connect to AOL without even using the Win2000 box, do they give you the same message?

You didn't say anything about running firewall or router, so I assume that you are not. Do you have a direct connection between the PC's via a crossover cable? Somehow, AOL has to be seeing that you have multiple machines at your location. If you are planning to upgrade to cable or dsl anytime soon, I would also recommend getting a cable/dsl router (performs NAT and makes all outgoing connections look like they are coming from one single IP address). If your not going to upgrade, consider something like a software proxy server - it'll also hide your connection to make it look as if everything is coming from one single IP address.
    - Maverick

AntiOnline Senior Member
    Get a different ISP. LoL.
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]

Sygate from sybergen, has setting for allowing multiple computers to use aol, although ant proxy properly configured should do the job.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Thumbs up

Hello all:
    1. Maverick811: I do have zone alarm up and running on the win98 machine. I have only tried to log on from my original (win98) connection to aol. The machines are connected together via 10/100 5 port switch using TP5 (twisted pair) cables. The idea of using a router seems interesting, as the many attempts to log on are frustrating to say the least. NAT? could you explain?
    2. uraloony: Any good suggestions for a differing ISP?
    3. To all, I have looked at my preferences and all appear fine.
    As always thanks. JIFFYPROGASM
    P.S Read my comments on the Geekhood over forty post. I guess that I am now gonna learn about either a proxy server or a router? With this quest for knowledge does this make me a "Hacker", rofl
    KNOWLEDGE IS OF TWO KINDS: We know a subject ourselves or we know where to find information upon it. SAMUEL JOHNSON

Originally posted by jiffyprogasm
    Hello all:
    1. Maverick811: I do have zone alarm up and running on the win98 machine. I have only tried to log on from my original (win98) connection to aol. The machines are connected together via 10/100 5 port switch using TP5 (twisted pair) cables. The idea of using a router seems interesting, as the many attempts to log on are frustrating to say the least. NAT? could you explain?
    2. uraloony: Any good suggestions for a differing ISP?
    3. To all, I have looked at my preferences and all appear fine.
    As always thanks. JIFFYPROGASM
    P.S Read my comments on the Geekhood over forty post. I guess that I am now gonna learn about either a proxy server or a router? With this quest for knowledge does this make me a "Hacker", rofl

Okay, NAT is short for Network Address Translation - essentially, it translates local addresses (from your LAN) into one global IP address that is seen by the world and vice-versa. As information is requested from a machine from within your network, NAT translates your internal IP address (Ex. 192.168.1.10) to an external address (30.xxx.xxx.xxx) assigned by your ISP. To an outsider (of your LAN) the request looks like it is coming from that one external address, no matter how many machines you have on your network. Then, the information is sent back to that one external IP addresss and again NAT is performed so that is translated back into your internal LAN address (192.1.1.10) so that your machine recieves the information.

If you had the resources and access availability, I'd drop the AOL account and look into getting an always on connection via cable or dsl. I'd check around and see if either of those services is available in your area. Do a search on www.google.com to see if you can find a cable/dsl provider in your area. Then, check your local Best Buy, Office Depot, etc, or online at either www.dlink.com or www.linksys.com for a Cable/DSL router. If you decide to go this route, I'd buy a router with multiple ports - you'll plug all of the computers into the ports on the router, then plug your cable/dsl connection into the WAN port on the router. That would work just fine for a cable or dsl connection.

If you decide not to go this route, then I'd look at getting some proxy software for your 98 box - the proxy software will do essentially the same thing as the router (NAT), and that may solve your problems with AOL. I still think that it appears that AOL is seeing that you are trying to use multiple computers per AOL account.

Hope this helps...
    - Maverick