Thread: they may be incompetent...but at least they're arrogant...

they may be incompetent...but at least they're arrogant...

PHP/PostgreSQL guy

Angry

That's the problem...they've ALWAYS been arrogant, egotistical, and otherwise a pain in the ass towards companies that provide a BETTER product/solution to the market. Look at Java. Do you think it'd be where it is now if IBM weren't supporting it and the Open Source movement 100%? MS is so full of bullshit, bad code, buggy software, and bloatware it's not even funny. I'm so glad I'm never going to be anything "NT" related. I mean...attacking Lindows because it sounds like Windows? Give me a break...MS is afraid because it knows if Lindows takes off, doing what everyone wants, which is run Windows apps under the stability of Linux, nobody'd be buying MS crap anymore. I know I wouldn't be.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

I kinda disagree. MS has a right to protect their trademark, and Lindows sounds similar to Windows. And it's quite obvious that the people behind Lindows are using the Windows name to promote their product. As Windows is so incrediby well-know to every user, the name Lindows automaically will catch their attention.

The big mulinational companies are very afraid of companies using their trademarks, I remember a story in the newspaper a few years ago, some bloke in Scotland with surname McDonald, put up a burger joint called McDonald's. He got a few lasuits agains him, and I think he lost, even when I only used his own name. Imagine what would happen if someone started producing a soft-drink called Coca-Coda.

This post might piss some of you off, but it's not ment as a support to Microsoft as a company, more as a support to the way bussiness is done in America and Europe. But then again, all you free-software guys are communists, aren't you, so that's probably gonna piss you off anyway.
    ---
    proactive

Are you serious?

There is nothing to protect. Unless of course M$ sees into the future and this lil' bit of vaporware is the one that puts them out of the OS business. Cause it's only gonna help out the Apps developers,developers,developers*chant*, developers.

I say screw M$ and hope LindowsOS takes off like a rocket. Almost anything is better than that POS Windows. (Uh-Oh I used that word, now M$ will probably want a cut of my pay.)

P.S. And I'm definitley not a commie, although I have nothing against them.

P.S.S. I remember a while back there was a little MAC store called 'Anything but Windows' and guess what..... M$ sued them right off the face of the planet.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Microsoft has already struck a blow against Lindows as part of the initial legal process by demanding access to the company's entire database of names, email addresses and physical addresses of people interested in the yet to be unveiled Linux-based operating system.
    Does anyone know why M$ wants this? I mean, I'm pretty certain that if people have signed up to be informed of Lindows updates, then they know that its not Windows...

What is M$ gonna do? Send them an email saying Windows is not Lindows??
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Originally posted by KorpDeath
    Are you serious?
    I'm serious. Products like Lindows reminds me of t-shirts and radios you can buy on the street in most larger cities. CD-players from Billiphs, t-shirts from Celvin Klein, tape-recorder from Soni etc. etc.

In my ears this is not a good product name. Sounds like some cheap copy of a famous brand.
    ---
    proactive

Post Hmmmm

I'd have to agree with Vorlin on this one.

Originally posted by: Proactive
    I kinda disagree. MS has a right to protect their trademark
    ...So what your trying to say is, that when Microsoft set up it's buisness, it put "LindowsOS" under it's trademark. Gimmie a break will ya?

and Lindows sounds similar to Windows
    ...One word: McKebab - And they won the lawsuit. ....Go Kebab!

As Windows is so incrediby well-know to every user, the name Lindows automaically will catch their attention.
    Then that REALLY sucks to be Microsoft right now. I mean come on, how are they going to make a lawsuit out of a name thats not even listed in the English Dictionary - while Windows is! The fact that Microsoft has chosen not to sue these companies demonstrates that their true motivation in this case is to crush competition from a promising new technology which threatens their illegally obtained monopoly.

This post might piss some of you off, but it's not ment as a support to Microsoft as a company, more as a support to the way bussiness is done in America and Europe. But then again, all you free-software guys are communists, aren't you, so that's probably gonna piss you off anyway
    I actually applaude your response Nice way of thinking of things.

/me *laughs frantically...*
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Thumbs up

Sooner or later, there's going to be a major
    NUCLEAR confrontation over the ownership
    of words.
    Not long ago, I heard that the pop group
    "The Eagles", tried to sue some environmentalist
    organization, claiming they stole their name.
    If they own the words, you can't even talk
    without paying royalties.

I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

the whole thing isnt even worth "crackin" a smile over...im runnin win 98se( yes i am proud i know the best win OS on the market) and redhat 7.02 ( yes it is bloatware) and there are more exploits for redhat than there are for win 98 ... im completely pro source and pro linux but dont bitch about what you cant control . people bitch and moan about things left or right either m$ or *nix ... personnally i like SuSe but what i cant do on that i can more than do on win98 se an then some...... your problems are not in the O/S but operator error..hmmmm someone once said compuetrs are simple.. it just takes a genious to understand the simplicity..pm me if you get that : someone looking for the right path just may stumble....bottom line is know the O/S your bitching about before you do so please....as far as trademark **** by Mini$uck lol they're trademarks are very poor its very easy to get around their copy infringe laws they try to push . lindows yeah good idea lets give M$ an open source os to try to earn money on . i know lots of linux os's that are all money my top is yellow-dog linux ****in fakes see whta i did to the site <a href=www.yellow-dog.org>yellow-dog</a>**** people sellng open source .......

Originally posted by Matty_Cross
    Microsoft has already struck a blow against Lindows as part of the initial legal process by demanding access to the company's entire database of names, email addresses and physical addresses of people interested in the yet to be unveiled Linux-based operating system.
    Personally, this strikes me as being illegal. Let's say I've signed up to be notified of updates about Lindows. Who in the hell OKs giving out all the names etc., of people interested in it. If I want to be kept on the up and up, I may not want the whole world about it. Lindows cannot make that decision for me, as I am the one who should ultimately decide whether or not MS has access to my address, am I not?

I've always wondered about whether or not this could be considered an invasion of privacy...
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?