View Poll Results: Is AOL going out of buisness ?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • How could you say such a thing !?!?!

2 14.29%
  • They better be

1 7.14%
  • I wish they would... But probably not

6 42.86%
  • I dont care... I dont use AOL

5 35.71%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: John Walker-traitor

You are saying that he should not be considered an American, but still should be tried as an American traitor?

No I'm saying he should be shot. Simple. His momma raised a traitor. End of story.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Senior since the 3 dot era
    No I'm saying he should be shot. Simple. His momma raised a traitor. End of story.
    This is one of the worst solutions:

1) He will be a hero for others
    2) His death will inspire others to hate America
    3) Death penalty is inhuman; it will make the judges to be the same criminals as they are convicting.

I have the solution for you sucker bleeding hearts.

Dump him in the middle of Kabul with a sign that says "I helped the Taliban persecute you." Then let the natives take care of him.
    They are a fair and just people, aren't they? LOL

As far as him being a hero to anyone. The only people he'd be a hero to would be the people that hate America anyway. And as far as more people hating America, that's fine. You can't please everybody.

The message you're going to send to the world by just putting him in jail is that it's okay to be a traitorous swine. The worst you'll get for betraying your country is a slap on the wrists. That sounds great to me.

His momma should've slapped him silly. Oh wait, you're probably against corporal punishment too.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

NEXT!

And your response would be?

P.S. Would you want to pay for a traitor of your nation to live in a comfy country club?
    - Samuel Johnson

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Alright KorpDeath, you have a point...

But, what will Taliban soldiers do with Americans?
    probably they will kill them for the same reason that kills JW.
    So my point is by giving him the death penalty you will lower yourself to the level of the criminal.

If you kill JW he will win, his message will survive. If you isolate him you will win. You have the moral and the legal power to punish and to keep punishing (by taking his freedom). If the State kills him he will take his freedom, it will not be a punishment at all !

What do you think is worse: killed at once (and go straight to heaven, cause the Islam believes in live after death) or not be able to be free at any chanche; never leave prison?

When the State gives him the death penalty it will not show some higher moral degree than the convicted, on the long run this will undermine the position of the state itself.
    For instance: In my country many people were killed after World War II because they 'were' traitors, still numbers off innocent ppl had to die cause 'justice' made some mistakes... if you kill some1 there's no way to take another decision in the future. You can not put them back in society...

Exclamation American? Depends...

John Walker is considered by many to be American, but I'm fairly sure that's only because he was born here, giving him immediate status as an American. Then, until he was 18, he was under his parents' total control by law (unless he sued for independence, which would be difficult to win). He's only twenty-something now, right? So he really didn't have much of a choice until a few years ago about his nationality.

So should he really be considered a traitor? Perhaps only if he wished to maintain his original nationality, which he does not seem to.

I know not the whole story, so I leave that to you to think about and decide upon.

more (perhaps) in the world's longest thread...

thank you.
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

Thumbs up

If the US congress had exercized its
    constitutional duty and declared WAR,
    then Walker's legal status would
    not be open to debate.
    During the vietnam war, american actress, Jane Fonda
    went to North Vietnam and did propaganda work
    for them.
    The US government couldn't touch her.
    It's too late to call for Walker to be punished.
    After a long controversial trial, he will go free.
    You heard it here first.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Originally posted by VictorKaum
    Alright KorpDeath, you have a point...

But, what will Taliban soldiers do with Americans?
    probably they will kill them for the same reason that kills JW.
    So my point is by giving him the death penalty you will lower yourself to the level of the criminal.

If you kill JW he will win, his message will survive. If you isolate him you will win. You have the moral and the legal power to punish and to keep punishing (by taking his freedom). If the State kills him he will take his freedom, it will not be a punishment at all !

What do you think is worse: killed at once (and go straight to heaven, cause the Islam believes in live after death) or not be able to be free at any chanche; never leave prison?

When the State gives him the death penalty it will not show some higher moral degree than the convicted, on the long run this will undermine the position of the state itself.
    For instance: In my country many people were killed after World War II because they 'were' traitors, still numbers off innocent ppl had to die cause 'justice' made some mistakes... if you kill some1 there's no way to take another decision in the future. You can not put them back in society...
    I couldn't care less about the Islamic belief of reward in the afterlife for martyrdom.

I could spout a bunch of christian rhetoric at you but that wouldn't change the fact that that jackass and every other jackass that would do the same thing needs to be made examples of.

I realize it might be difficult for you to understand my rage at this lil' puke. But I take pride in being an American. I love my country and it's people.(no matter how dysfunctional they are). So for this happen is totally unacceptable.
    - Samuel Johnson

Originally posted by rcgreen
    If the US congress had exercized its
    constitutional duty and declared WAR,
    then Walker's legal status would
    not be open to debate.
    During the vietnam war, american actress, Jane Fonda
    went to North Vietnam and did propaganda work
    for them.
    The US government couldn't touch her.
    It's too late to call for Walker to be punished.
    After a long controversial trial, he will go free.
    You heard it here first.
    I tell you what.... for his safety, he'd better move to the netherlands or some other soft EU country. He won't be safe here in the states.
    - Samuel Johnson

The whole "Traitor" bit is mainly an emotional reaction, but let's face it, did he spy for the enemy under false pretenses? Did he manuever into a position of power and work for a shadowy conspiracy?

The point is, it isn't *trickery*, which, to me, is a large part of treason. He LEFT this country, and he decided to fight for what he believed in (however misguided it may be). Treat him like any other captured footsoldier, his original nationality is irrelevant in this conflict, unless you're trying to say that ethnicity is an issue, and it isn't. The conflict is essentially political. (And no, the conflict is not religious, that's just the justification that each side uses to some degree.)

America? Nationality? America is a nation primarily of immigrants! It's not as if there is an easy boolean value for each person as to if they are "American", it's a very fuzzy line. Also, as Kezil pointed out, he had no legal previous choice over his nationality.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency