Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hack This ?

Question Hack This ?

Hi every one, Yes I am very new.

Is a programmer classed as a hacker or am I getting mixed up?
    Can Recommend a Great Book - Steal This Computer Book 2 comes with CD ROM Full with all sorts of great protection and stuff - by Wallace Wang more info at: www.nostarch.com

A hacker is someone who use to technology to find a workaround to a problem.

[originally, someone who makes furniture with an axe] 1. A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary. 2. One who programs enthusiastically (even obsessively) or who enjoys programming rather than just theorizing about programming. 3. A person capable of appreciating hack value. 4. A person who is good at programming quickly. 5. An expert at a particular program, or one who frequently does work using it or on it; as in `a Unix hacker'. (Definitions 1 through 5 are correlated, and people who fit them congregate.) 6. An expert or enthusiast of any kind. One might be an astronomy hacker, for example. 7. One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations. 8. [deprecated] A malicious meddler who tries to discover sensitive information by poking around. Hence `password hacker', `network hacker'. The correct term for this sense is cracker.

The term `hacker' also tends to connote membership in the global community defined by the net (see the network and Internet address). For discussion of some of the basics of this culture, see the How To Become A Hacker FAQ. It also implies that the person described is seen to subscribe to some version of the hacker ethic (see hacker ethic).

It is better to be described as a hacker by others than to describe oneself that way. Hackers consider themselves something of an elite (a meritocracy based on ability), though one to which new members are gladly welcome. There is thus a certain ego satisfaction to be had in identifying yourself as a hacker (but if you claim to be one and are not, you'll quickly be labeled bogus). See also geek, wannabee.

This term seems to have been first adopted as a badge in the 1960s by the hacker culture surrounding TMRC and the MIT AI Lab. We have a report that it was used in a sense close to this entry's by teenage radio hams and electronics tinkerers in the mid-1950s.

The above is from http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/jargon.html#hacker

Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

The simple answer is basically:

Yes, but not all programmers are hackers.
    Why am I still here?

i think we need to come up with a new way to classify programers. "hacker" "cracker" "whitehat" "blackhat" "L33T" "lam3r" "script kiddie"....ect, is getting a bit confusing.

how about just "full of ****" and "not full of ****"?
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

IMHO, i think i read it somewhere and liked it i don't remember, a hacker is someone who has learned a system, any system, well enough to make it work FOR them.
    There are many people who program.
    But hacking carries over into the mundane (RL) to everything you do.

---------------
    i think we need to come up with a new way to classify programers. "hacker" "cracker" "whitehat" "blackhat" "L33T" "lam3r" "script kiddie"....ect, is getting a bit confusing.

------------------------

I don't think SK is an good discription of these loosers, its much too kind.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned

two things to say

- trojan creator = programmer = hacker
    - trojan user = not a hacker

but blackhole has raised a question that has been seen before on AO -

-trojan creator = programmer = hacker (or could it be)
    -trojan creator = programmer = lammer/hacker !?

is it lame to program a device such as sub7/Bo2k and put it into circulation knowing fullwell what the s|<r1pt |<1dd13s will use it for? Same goes for virus writers - writing a good virus takes immense amounts of programming skill but does making it available to the world in general make you lame?

[nutshell]Would you be a responsible parent if you gave your 12yr old kid a loaded gun?[/nutshell]

Originally posted here by valhallen
    but does making it available to the world in general make you lame?
    i don't think so because it gives many a person their first step into the hacker/phreaker/cracker/programmer/security buff culture. I think if i had not seen that Dateline special on Back Orifice back in the day I wouldn't be here now. I'd be on aol, iming people and asking for their pics is where I'd probly be.
    \"Welcome to the real world...it sucks. Your gunna love it.\'\"

The steping stones are very important, these torjans, nukers, or what ever is lame but it is the inital intrest in this easy form of "hacking" that gets alot people into it. Now from here they have two options stay on this lame stuff or move on. The problem is not alot of people move on.
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,

Hacker is the one who finds exploit on Internet or programs........
    and they will turn in the exploit and fix it...

cracker is to crack while smoke crack :smiles:
    \"If you don\'t know it--------DON\"T DO IT ( anti---\"JUST DO IT\" from NIKE )\"

\"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country\" by JFK