Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD or Pent

Post AMD or Pent

I need you guys, and girls, input on this? I'm going to upgrade a 450(Tabor III MB) to a faster processor, what would you do? My choices are AMD(Thunderbird) 1GHz+ and the motherboard, or Intell p? 1GHz+ on the same Tabor III motherboard?
    This box is mostly used for games on/off line. Any opinions would be appreciated

\"SI JE PUIS\"

There are a number of factors to consider:

1. Price
    AMD wins, no contest.

2. Stability
    Despite Intel's reputation as being quite stable most new AMD are very stable. So they're arguably equally stable IMO.

3. Options
    Intel processors will work with more of a variety of motheboards than AMD's. Some research into motherboard/processor combinations will pay off here.

4. Compatability
    Basically just about everything will work with Intel but since AMD recent rise in processor production and sales the gap is closing fast.

So you will have to weigh up these factors. Personally I'd go with the AMD cause of price and stability. But that's just me.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Exclamation AMD rocks and so does Pentium... depends what you are doing!

I agree with the fact that AMD have improved there chips tremendously... and that is great... but they still need some work around the stability factor.

1)As you said you are using it mainly for games and AMD performs far better than Pent for games. It has a 3x more accurate floating piont calculation.

2)If you do anything that needs a 24 hour up time or as much up time as possible i suggest a Pent.

AMD is for gaming and graphics.
    Pent is for a server and stability.
    Nisus Mage

P4 v AMD/Celeron

Well, I have to say there has been so much info to digest concerning Pentium verses AMD.
    I have both here. One Pentium running at 1.Ghz and an AMD running at 1.3Ghz.
    Both with Turbo motherboards.
    When I was running both with 256k RAM, I could not tell which one completed the tasks 1st. ie: I converted a 151mb Mp3 file to wave on both and they both took the same time, (ish). The Pentium was about 4-5 seconds faster and thats with 0.3Ghx less processor power!
    This led me to believe that the Pentiium was still the superior.
    Obviously the speed of the HDD would have to be taken into consideration too. If you have an old 3000Rpm HDD @ 20GB size and a 7200Rpm HDD @ 20GB its pretty obvious that one will be slower than the other.
    AMD have beeen upgrading their technology as fast as Intel so realistically I would go for the stabilty of Pentium untill AMD prove worthy.
    All my own opinions obviously.
    Good Luck
    DrakeyBolix

If you want it for gaming...go AMD definately.

If you are building a server, I would probably go Intel. But that is not always the case. Both are very good processors, AMD is just a bit cheaper

I'll have to vote AMD also Thor. Check this out:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q1/020107/index.html

Even with a 2ghz clock speed the intel has just now caught with AMD and AMD is alot cheaper.

Originally posted by iNViCTuS
    If you want it for gaming...go AMD definately.

If you are building a server, I would probably go Intel. But that is not always the case. Both are very good processors, AMD is just a bit cheaper

I agree - gamers tend to prefer using AMD, at least from what I've witnessed. I've had a good amount of experience with Pentium, and I'm a fan of it overall - however, I'm not opposed to using something else. iNViCTuS is right, they are both good processors with price being one of the main differences.
    - Maverick

I have three letters for you. The first one is A. the second M. and the third and final letter is D.

The new Intel chips suck. suck suck suck.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Wink

Thanks to everyone, I'll let you know what I go with and how it work's out..It's my son's(and mine hehehe) but all of your advice was great thank's again~thor

KorpDeath,
    antihaxor
    TKS guy's
    \"SI JE PUIS\"

AMD always!! i give it 4 smilies
    [shadow]l3aDmOnKeY[/shadow]