View Poll Results: What is your programming experience?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Advanced: very well versed in programming

3 5.36%
  • Intermediate to Advanced: very comfortable with programming but need pointers now and again

14 25.00%
  • Beginner to Intermediate: comfortable and need to learn some more still.

19 33.93%
  • Beginner: still referring to manuals and such for hints

14 25.00%
  • Below Beginner: have never coded in my life

6 10.71%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carnivore/DSC1000

What do we really personally have to hide that is such a threat to national security? very little i suspect, and if not then you deserve to live in fear of that knock at the door. In this day and age these systems are unfortunately a necessary evil. it is unlikely that weill will ever know what actions these systems have detected and reported or through fear of their existence prevented

Do you all really think there are buildings full of agents reading every email with the odd dodgy keyword in then you are sadly mistaken apart from solving many of the unemployment issues this would achieve very little indeed after all how many emails do you think are sent every day?

Like all solutions these systems are open to manipulation and abuse and so for the paranoid out there who worry about their private information there is always AES, the Rijndael encryption algorithm, that will keep them busy for a while. As for me im an "I dont care" there is very little about you the men in black dont have access to through other channels and as i have nothing to hide whats the point of spitting my dummy about this

What do we really personally have to hide that is such a threat to national security? very little i suspect, and if not then you deserve to live in fear of that knock at the door. In this day and age these systems are unfortunately a necessary evil. it is unlikely that weill will ever know what actions these systems have detected and reported or through fear of their existence prevented

Do you all really think there are buildings full of agents reading every email with the odd dodgy keyword in then you are sadly mistaken apart from solving many of the unemployment issues this would achieve very little indeed after all how many emails do you think are sent every day?

Like all solutions these systems are open to manipulation and abuse and so for the paranoid out there who worry about their private information there is always AES, the Rijndael encryption algorithm, that will keep them busy for a while. As for me im an "I dont care" there is very little about you the men in black dont have access to through other channels and as i have nothing to hide whats the point of spitting my dummy about this

Finally, someone who shares my opinion!!

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

I m not a lawer or anything like that but there us the right to privacy, i really don't care about other people reading my mails/ knowing what or where i go on the net but it does raise some issues about how this data is used.... if the fbi/any other agencies does have some serious reasons about some suspiscous activities, they should go ahead and do what they have to do yet they shouldn't be allowed to get access to the other users usage of the isp's ... as they can with carnivore...
    anyways the deployement of carnivore is out of date because anybody who has sensitive data would be smart enough to use crypto or steno then the data would take so long to decript if they even detect it (ie encode a text using pgp at full strength then past in on a pic and tx it ...) it will take soo long that the dudes would have time to change counrties 45 times and comited x's crimes.... a much better way would be to try to cure terrorism at the source... easy to say but impossible in practise ...
    so is i still won't use encryption unless required but i will participate in the upcoming anti echelon day...

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    I've been following this post since my first reply and I see a lot of outside-US people stating how they don't care if people read their emails etc etc. I don't know about you guys, but regardless of whether or not I want someone reading my email, I still don't approve of the government monitoring my shite because of 'suspect' activity. You know damned well none of these people would be monitored and that's where your power corrupts. Instead, let's monitor otherwise innocent civilians who just want to go to work, make a paycheck to pay bills, and go home to do whatever it is they want to do ... in PRIVATE. What's the point of having encryption, once again, when your mail's being read every day? You think PGP can compete with clustered military servers that're running hardware we don't even DREAM of? It'd eat that encryption for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

To those of you who say they have nothing to hide:

That means you should open up your door whenever the police want a look inside, because if you have nothing to hide then you certainly wouldn't object to them looking around once a week.

As much as i am not overtly happy with the potential invasion of my privicy you would have to be doing something to attract their attention in the first place. I am sure they have better things to do with their time and more accurate ways of identifying potential risks than picking people at random.

I accept any potential intrusion under the premise of making the world a safer place to live. why can you cannot accept this little compromise to keep our countries and more relevantly our local streets a nicer place.

You dont seriously think that this is only monitoring email internal to the US do you. the whole point of Echelon is to keep an eye on as many people as possible so doing the same thing as Carnivore.

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his!

Do I want the FBI to read my email? No.
    --
    Which is exactly why I use imported software that utilizes illegally strong encryption techniques that our government won't let us legally use.
    ==
    Take that message, encrypt it inside of a picture, relay it anonymously a dozen times through servers in countries outside of America's jurisdiction, and only send part of the message @ that, and then use code inside of all that, and if the message were to be intercepted, it would be uncrackable. Also, send a lot of messages that are encrypted the same way, but that are fake messages, that are just random characters, to throw off decryption software.

OverandOut.
    comJo
    OverandOut.
    ~comJo

---....Loading: 1x 2x 3x

paulcottingham, i agree with you in that they do have better things to do than moniter innocent people's email. and i don't belive they are. But this is information they are collecting on us. These are the same people that sell, under the freedom of information act, anything they collect about you, births, deaths new license, lost license, marriage, devorce, properties you buy.

Have you ever said anything in hast, even when you were very young. do you not know anyone who has discussed an illness or a disturbing condition with a trusted friend, in an email. what could be the possible result of insurance companies having access to this "information". what if prospective emloyers found out you've been frequenting 'hacker sites'. if you look at history, freedom has not been the norm. this is something we could easily loose if we don't protect it, and there are more than a few people out there who would be more than willing to take it, given half a chance.

these people now have computers at their disposal, that can duplicate the activity of an atom bomb, and analyze it. so what im suggesting, as possible is not even a slight stretch of the imagination.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Tedob1,
    that explains my car insurance and medical premiums

point taken there is so much scope for abuse of the system but i still think its potential for good out weighs these for most people. As to whether I am one of the beneficiaries remains to be seen, based on previous experiences i will get stuffed like everyone else