View Poll Results: What is your programming experience?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Advanced: very well versed in programming

3 5.36%
  • Intermediate to Advanced: very comfortable with programming but need pointers now and again

14 25.00%
  • Beginner to Intermediate: comfortable and need to learn some more still.

19 33.93%
  • Beginner: still referring to manuals and such for hints

14 25.00%
  • Below Beginner: have never coded in my life

6 10.71%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carnivore/DSC1000

Banned

Thumbs down Carnivore/DSC1000

I heard that about 75% of ISP's are Carnivore-free, but after September 11 that number dropped to about 50-60%.
    Thats bad news for you ISP users... For those of you who dont know Carnivore is a so called 'diagnostic' tool that tracks all incoming and outgoing mail from your ISP....
    A few years after the Carnivore program was started the FBI changed the name to DSC1000.
    And whats worst of all is that that according to CNET News the FBI wants Carnivore-type powers for phone lines.

Carnivore Homepage

Check if your ISP uses Carnivore

FBI want Carnivore powers for phone lines

FBI takes the teeth out of Carnivores name

Yeah, it seems 9/11 is becoming a great excuse to relieve us of the burden of freedom.

I'm pretty talk out here on this subject. So if you got any ideas on how to stop them...let me know. ;-)
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

damn the fbi
    those bastads
    im going to call up my isp and bitch at them
    they are on the halfass list of carnivore free
    http://www.stopcarnivore.org/halfanswers.htm
    ^^ there you can read about alltel's half ass bs
    at the link above it has a statement from alltel
    and it seems they already have it installed and running....
    Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far. - Theodore Roosevelt

Banned
    Sick, sick **** eh

Unless you plan on killing the president or blowing up some buildings, does it really matter? I'm pretty sure they don't all sit there reading your personal e-mails.

For me, I don't really care if they read or not, cos I know I'm not gonna do anything against the law.

However, you may have some good reasons that I have failed to thing about, so please - voice your opinions.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

fbi

Originally posted by hot_ice
    Unless you plan on killing the president or blowing up some buildings, does it really matter? I'm pretty sure they don't all sit there reading your personal e-mails.

For me, I don't really care if they read or not, cos I know I'm not gonna do anything against the law.

However, you may have some good reasons that I have failed to thing about, so please - voice your opinions.

Greg
    It's an over funded goverment operation, of course their reading your email, probly reading this post while their at it.

Red face

ok... this is really simple....
    i am pretty sure that the fbi reading my email is not going to be a cause for panic... besides if i were going to transfur some "illegal"
    info in my email... i would think i would at least crypt it first, at the verry least!!!

the only population that this actually hits is on those just starting into security.

finally, if i demand COMPLETE access to ALL information, than i would be wrong in denying someone else the optioin to that same information. Even if it is the FBI. I mean after all, an E-MAIL
    EVEN IF IT IS... in a 512 syph is STILL INFORMATION.

I say if they want, it here it is, BUT dont ask for help on understanding it.
    [shadow]Look but don\'t Touch, Touch but don\'t Tast, Tast but don\'t Swallow. What a Hypocrite.[/shadow]

do you guys think that when their done reading your mail they just through it away. Every thing these guys do is saved. Imagine a database of everbodys email, and what fantastic blunders can be made with stupid querys. remember this is the federal government were talking about.
    why on this page alone i find two people talking about killing the president (oops!make that three) Oh no blowing up buildings too!

Now i guess that would put all our messages into another database of suspect messages even if we are filtered out eventually were already suspect.

Its just not a good idea to let these guys keep a data base like this. anybody ever heard of macarthyism, whats it going to be next year

...are you now or have you ever been a member of napster
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned
    Yea Tedob is right. They don't just delete the EMail they read.. They save it.... Just imagine a room full of servers.... Not 1 server but hundreds or thousands, and all of those servers have someones EMail on them....

SecurityAdmin posted keywords that 'activate' Carnivore.... They can be found here.

They don't just delete the EMail they read.. They save it.... Just imagine a room full of servers.... Not 1 server but hundreds or thousands, and all of those servers have someones EMail on them....
    This doesn't make any difference to the way I feel about it. So what if they save it?? What is the difference between reading and saving?? They can look back on my e-mails one week/one year later, I don't mind...what can they do??

Now i guess that would put all our messages into another database of suspect messages even if we are filtered out eventually were already suspect.
    Anyone can be a suspect (and I'm not talking about e-mails only). Whatever your a suspect of, if they find that you didn't do it, they can't hold it against you that they made a mistake thinking it was you. If your best friend gets murdered, probably you'll be a suspect straight away, but if you didn't do it and they find the person who did, then you did nothing wrong. You were a suspect...but no longer are.

I still strongly believe that if you don't have any bad intentions to break the law - why worry about them reading your e-mails...bugger them, let em read it.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester