Thread: Aol Linux Fix????

Question Aol Linux Fix????

Does anybody know how to fix aol so that you don't have to use their
    software??? I want to install linux and use dial up networking to connect to
    the internet. If this cannot be done does anybody know any good free linux
    isps????
    Thank You,
    XPaCiScOoL

[glowpurple]\"Your Smallest Flaw is my greatest Strength.\" - Me[/glowpurple]

First, even for Windows, AOL would be my last choice for an ISP. AOL is basically internet access with training wheels, and let's face it, Linux users tend not to need training wheels. AOL tries to market to the stupid people, so I couldn't picture them making software for Linux. I can tell by the way you're talking that AOL seems to be the only internet access you know (no offense), so let me clarify something. Unlike AOL, most ISPs don't require you to use their browser. Therefore, you really don't need to worry too much about the whole Linux/Windows thing. As far as finding an ISP for you, there's not much I can do for you. You just have to do some looking and see who's in the area. I don't believe there's a way to use AOL without using their software as well.

stflook is right, the only way to get on the internet with linux using aol, is to install aol on a wondows box set up as a gateway.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Unhappy ewwwww

Thats just sinning against nature.

Angry

Thats just sinning against nature.
    I agree with you zepherin. AOL on linux is almost like twinkies without the creme filling. It's just not right... not now and not ever. I used to use AOL back when I first got a PC (I HAD NO CHOICE!), and all I can say about the service was... yuck (actually, there was more, but to put it all here would mean having to hide this post). People on 9600 baud dial up modems got better bandwidth than I did (source: http://webservices.cnet.com/bandwidth/ )! So I say... go broadband... if you have a respectable cable provider in your area, go broadband... even go DSL! JUst move away from AOL! the only reason that they are doing so well is the fact that they attract stupid users. All people need to do is take the time to learn some of the more popular browsers (Internet Explorer, Netscape, or Opera ), and they will pay less for local ISPs, and more than likely get a faster connection, and won't need AOL or their browser to connect to the internet! Yay!
    Welcome to Hell , where we have served more than all of the fast food chains put together! And the number grows everyday! Stay tuned!