Thread: Web Server Help

Banned

Web Server Help

OK... Ive installed a web server on my computer... I put the website into the home directory. Everything is set up... but whenever I tell someone who is not on my network to look at my website it tells them that the page cannot be displayes.... I am hosting it only off of my computer... Am I doing something wrong? It keeps on asking me about DNS something but I have no idea what to put there.... Is there any way to host a website off of my IP adress ? without a URL?

How are you connecting to the internet? If it is DSL you might have some troubles if its cable i am not sure yet.

BTW: Nice Signature
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Banned
    Yea imcopnnecting throught DSL through another computer in my network....

Banned
    You dont have such a bad sig ureself

I am running DSL at work and i found out that you cant run a web server though the router. The only way i could think of is to run it is to set up the router to allow people to connect. I am not sure if this will work but you might check and read up on it then try it out if you can.
    Hope that helped.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Do this:

1: start->run->winipcfg

Find your IP address and give it to your friend.

2: have your friend go to http://your_ip_here:80

This will determine whether or not you can receive hits from the outside. If you can, then it was an issue solved by having the correct address. If you can't, then it's something else, like a router/firewall issue. If you're going through a router and your IP is a private internal IP, then make sure your router does port-forwarding to that IP for all port 80 requests.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

hopefully, the ip address of your computer isn't visable on the internet so no externel dns sever has ever heard of you, and if your using an address reserved for internel networks, all you'll get is a dns error.
    More than likely your accessing the internet through a gateway that masks your box's ip and makes all requests look like they come from the gateways address.
    The only way to get people from outside your network to 'visit' your page is by using a client like dynip, which is a free trial for 30 days(last i checked).
    this way you can register a name with them and have people type the name you've chosen into their browsers and dynip re-directs them to your computer. this usually works unless the firewall blocks the client's port.
    Warning: your job could be in danger doing this, admins don't like users running un-autherized servers on their networks. its a real bad security risk.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”