Thread: go philips go

go philips go

"Philips, the Dutch company which co-created the Compact Disc format along with Sony almost 20 years ago, is standing defiantly against the industry's use of copy-protected CDs.
    The firm has warned that discs protected with such technologies could not be classed as compact discs and can't use the 'Compact Disc' logo that has been stamped on every CD since the format was developed. "

http://www.vnunet.com/News/1128540
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

It's stupid, cos they've already put out two CD albums with this new copyright feature and they failed to inform the public about it. As stated in the article, some CD players will not play these CD's - it's just ridiculous. You'd think they'd at least let people know that there might be a chance it won't work or that they are trialing a new feature.

GO PHILIPS!!! I hope they win the battle.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

go phillips! go phillips!....

and why shouldn't they win the battle, the logos copywriten ! muhhahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahah!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

It's about time some big guns got involved, and try to stop all this non-sense.
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...

Is the LotR soundtrack one of those protected CD's? It would explain why my comp refuses to play it as an audio cd.

oblio
    praise phillips all you want. Have you considered their motives? Big multinational corporations are not excactly bent on morality and freedom. Could it be Phillips isn't getting a royalty? I am sure we will see a settlement.

Breaking the protecting will not be hard, and it is completely legal to copy anything you buy according to the Audio Home Recording Act, which states:

"No action may be brought under this title alleging infringement of copyright based on the manufacture, importation, or distribution of a digital audio recording device, a digital audio recording medium, an analog recording device, or an analog recording medium, or based on the noncommercial use by a consumer of such a device or medium for making digital musical recordings or analog musical recordings."

Try all they like, it's not going to work.
    -Shkuey
    Living life one line of error free code at a time.

Originally posted by oblio

praise phillips all you want. Have you considered their motives? Big multinational corporations are not excactly bent on morality and freedom. Could it be Phillips isn't getting a royalty? I am sure we will see a settlement.

I have to agree with this one. Huge corporations never give two shits and a lollipop about the little guy. All they care about is more money, so they can grow. Money is to big corporations what rising humidity is to hurricanes. It's what got them started, what keeps them going, and what they need to grow further. Both seem to leave the little guy homeless and penniless as well. It is nice to see one of the big guys fighting it though, even if it results in nothing more than a settlement.

Breaking the protecting will not be hard,
    At first i was gonna say that might not be true because one of the schemes is intentionally add errors to the track to screw up the da/ad conversion...but after a bit of checking...seems even this is probably work aroundable

http://www.cdfreaks.com/document.php3?Doc=49

as a musician and someones who done a lot of recording, the thought of a record co addin errors to my tracks which i've just spent months gettin -perfect-...well f-em

long live indie
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson