Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Here we go ;)

cool

i guess there will be more moderators online by then... and there will be loads of invites here and there...

rgds
    de

oblio
    elitist

Question

you are going to open a forum on religion?!?!

there are 3 topics in this world that cause more "heated" discussions than any other:

1. Religion
    2. Politics
    3. Sports

(more than likely in that order).

these topics are belief based. beliefs are personal. it's hard not to "attack" the topic without attacking the person. there's a small topic in current events taking place in Afganistan that roots from religion. remember the 100 years war, the crusades; yeah - religion.

anyhow, this should be interesting.
    4ChecK

--ssshhh, be vewry, vewry quiet...

Originally posted by 4ChecK
    you are going to open a forum on religion?!?!

there are 3 topics in this world that cause more "heated" discussions than any other:

1. Religion
    2. Politics
    3. Sports

(more than likely in that order).

these topics are belief based. beliefs are personal. it's hard not to "attack" the topic without attacking the person. there's a small topic in current events taking place in Afganistan that roots from religion. remember the 100 years war, the crusades; yeah - religion.

anyhow, this should be interesting.
    You are in error when you say that these concepts are hard to attack without referring to a "person"..the reason for a forum such as this is to PROVE this. I suggest you refrain from posting to this thread if that is your position....It will make it better for all involved. Only a person with a weak arguement finds it prudent to redirect attention away from the issue at hand.

Only a person with a weak arguement finds it prudent to redirect attention away from the issue at hand.
    antihaxor, you make a very strong statement here, and I truly hope you are right. i would LOVE to see these forums prove me wrong. however, i speak from experience, (during my time as a NYC area bartender and in my travels). i have seen people from all walks of life, (imbided & sober), discuss these topics. intentially or not, the participants involved, most of the time, get over heated.

again i am not saying this can't or should not be done. nor i am making a staunch statement. i am just speaking from my experiences.
    4ChecK

You may be right 4Check...but I can assure you of this ..if someone does resort to those kind of tactics our moderater Negative will deal with the person.

4checK: I would disagree with your list. Sports shouldn't even be there, IMO.

The three things debators are never supposed to debate are:

1. The Death Penalty
    2. Religion
    3. Aborton (mainly because it usually ties very closely into #2).

Politics should be debated. Someone's views on politics are often driven by their views on those three items, and they should always be considered as motivating factors in any political election (for those who have elections).

At any rate, I think this forum is a great idea.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

I want to know why my Penis thread was removed!
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

Thumbs up

The three things debators are never supposed to debate are:
    1. The Death Penalty
    2. Religion
    3. Aborton (mainly because it usually ties very closely into #2).
    chsh - i totall agree w/your list. i just consider #'s 1&3 crossovers of religion & politics. as for sports.... true it is the weaker of the topics. more emphasis is always placed on religion & politicals, and rightly so. but it's hard to keep a good debate on soccer, [football], calm in england or ireland.
    4ChecK

Banned
    calm in england or ireland
    Ah a subject I find most interesting, Irish History is an amazing collection of pain and struggle for peace and the story is still unfolding to this day!

Some further reading if youre interested.

Irish History Documents

DÃ*ospóireachtaÃ* Parlaiminte

Irish resources in the Humanities

Irish Primary Documents

Irelands History in Maps