Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: email virii, sosial trust??

Question email virii, sosial trust??

we know that virii spreads first, then we will get the cure from anti virii much later...

is there an easy way that we apply to prevent from being bitten, esp from email virii? remember the 'i love u' virii and its family?? the email came from someone whom u trust, nothing suspicious in the contents and attachment, so u happily open the attachment and not knowing there is a virii and bam!! thats all it took.

if the email had come from someone whom u dont know, then its fine, just delete it, but it wasnt. this make things difficult.

hmmm... does it mean that u need to call that fren and ask if the email was true?

rgds
    de

First of all, I wouldn't open any .exe files unless I was 110% sure it's something completely safe. Sometimes you open something before even thinking it's a virus and by the time you realise, it's too late.

Most likely you won't be the first person to be hit by the virus, so try read IT websites and news sites to see if any new viruses have been detected and remember the e-mail subject, such as 'I love you' or 'Anna Kournikova' or whatever. This way, if you get an e-mail, you can say, 'Hang on...I remember this subject...'

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

Try using alternatives to outlook express, allso do not trust Netscape because it will let you down as well.
    See if you can use Eudora or another type of email program.
    In Holland and ISP is now offering an extra service, for 2 euro a month they scan your emails before you can receive them in your inbox.

In Holland and ISP is now offering an extra service, for 2 euro a month they scan your emails before you can receive them in your inbox.
    That's really a good idea, cos even though most people have virus scanner's, they don't update it often, I know I don't...that reminds me...

Greg
    -- William Forrester

ISP's help is a good method. ISP pls do your part to help out.

what i am more concern of is new virii, not know to anti virii yet... and being spread thru social engineering, esp this coming valentine...

rgds
    de

First of all, I wouldn't open any .exe files unless I was 110% sure it's something completely safe. Sometimes you open something before even thinking it's a virus and by the time you realise, it's too late
    but i bet you 20$'s if someone sent u sarah.scr threw sumthin like ICQ or AIM or maybe even a email saying sumthin like "Hey sexy here is the pic you asked for and rember DONT SHOW ANYONE cause i made this just for you! email me back and ill see you on ICQ" ud open it thinking it was a simple pic with a weird extension even thought its a screen saver... sound harmless still? well rename a EXE file of urs to a SCR and then open it... weird how it opens the same exact way? not many people know bout this and its a very nice way to infect people with sumthin...

-NetBioM-
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

Lightbulb

The only three good viruses prevention methods I know are
    1- Common sense
    2- up to date anti-virus
    3- The last level of patches

I am managing the Security of the Internet access of a large company, and I can guaranty that the WEB based as well as SMTP based e-mail service providers that claimed to be protected by anti-virus scanner are far to be updated at the right time when new virus is discovered.
    Also remember that HTTP hostile codes represent a clear risk. For December 2001 our Company gateway virus detection statistics showed more viruses hits in the HTTP traffic than in SMTP traffic. If you are concerned by the security of your system avoid Sex and MP3 sites (95% of detected sources), warez sites and similar NNTP groups!
    More and more cyber criminals create target specific hostile code that will be not detected by anti-virus products based on viruses signature. If you are a possible target for cyber criminal install a personal firewall that checks the outgoing traffic and if you are paranoid, a Trojan detection tools not based on virus signature but on mechanisms that block the action of hostile codes. I recommend:
    Tiny Software Personal firewall (free for non commercial use) and Tiny Trojan Trap. http://www.tinysoftware.com/

Dont wanna get infected with a virus? thats a good thought so follow my simple rules about how NOT to get infected

1. dont use chat programs at all
    2. dont open any email
    3. dont update any software from a untrusted site
    4. dont use news groups
    5. dont use any software that opens tcp ports
    6. dont use any browser
    7. dont use the net
    8. never plug in a modem
    9. never plug in the computer
    10. never buy a computer
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

1. dont use chat programs at all
    2. dont open any email
    3. dont update any software from a untrusted site
    4. dont use news groups
    5. dont use any software that opens tcp ports
    6. dont use any browser
    7. dont use the net
    8. never plug in a modem
    9. never plug in the computer
    10. never buy a computer
    That's a great idea - me going to do it now...I guess I'll never speak to you guys again..bye bye...

Greg
    -- William Forrester

Question virii infection prevention... I HOPE ;]

as a rule, when i recieve any kind of file d/l... i use a hexeditor to open it....
    reason being... if it is a program designed for a certain purpose.... its easy to
    find something dealing w/ that purpose.... if you cant find nothing that reflects
    what you are supposed to be d/l'ing.... then it is prolly some new worm/virii etc..

of course i keep my anti virus up to date daily, and have my computer set to
    automatically d/l critical updates daily.... but ya still never know.. what is
    around the corner. so common sense a good anti virus, up to date patches..

and the good ol hex editor..... makes for a good tandum
    The More You Travel, The More You See. The More You See. The More you Learn...................[knowledge]