Thread: No sound after upgrade...

No sound after upgrade...

Firstly, I apologise for this thread not being security related. I wouldn't of posted it here but I'm starting to get desperate. I still believe a "Tech Support" thread would be a huge benifit to JP's site. Anyway......

I'm running a standard HP pavilion 6701 box dual booting Red hat and now Win XP. After the clean install of XP I've lost all sound. It's driving me crazy I tells ya! After countless hours of downloading and installing drivers I'm still no where near a solution...
    I borrowed a sound card off a friend (CMI8783) which is rather old and you would imagine XP would have the drivers for. It detects the hardware and starts to install it then gives an error about the required files not being found in the .inf....It then proceeds to connect to the 'net to find the drivers but after half an hour it just stalls...I found the drivers myself but when installing it gives the same .inf error.

Anyhelp would be appreciated before I load my rifle and climb the clock tower. Please help!

course ya realize that starting with 2k m$ decided not to support a lot of <legacy> hardware...the card might simply be incompatible...

i'd also check to uninstall any partially installed drivers/cards...that can sometimes be a prob...

could try driverguide.com...if ya can't find it there...it probably can't be found...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Originally posted by zigar
    course ya realize that starting with 2k m$ decided not to support a lot of <legacy> hardware...the card might simply be incompatible...

It won't even install the pc speaker!

Originally posted by zigar
    i'd also check to uninstall any partially installed drivers/cards...that can sometimes be a prob...

could try driverguide.com...if ya can't find it there...it probably can't be found...

I found the appropriate driver at driverguide.com but it just wont install. Thanks anyway...

Senior since the 3 dot era
    And all those cards are supposed to be plug and play...
    help...

LOL

Like said check compatibility
    Is your card pnp?
    Remove all drivers installed for it.
    shutdown, remove card, reboot, shutdown, plug card in, windows finds new hardware... and installs the thing... perhaps it's faster to use another card?