Thread: Analysis on virus writters...

Cool Analysis on virus writters...

A member of the UK virus writing community has slammed recent analyst research as "full of irregularities and half truths".
    Analyst mi2g recently released a study on the virus writing community claiming that they fit the stereotype of being fairly young, male and getting no commercial benefit from their activities.

But PaX, a member of the UK virus community, disputed the description. "I won't comment on others but I am 36 and happily married with three children," he said. "The average age of a virus programmer is 28 and none that I know of have green hair or a love of drugs and heavy metal music."

However, he did acknowledge that "the individuals that present the biggest threat are the new breed of virus modifier that have no programming skills and yet churn out various modifications to second rate macro viruses. There is your 'serial virus writer'. The ones with no skill or moral consideration for others."

http://www.vnunet.com/News/1128625

PS. What does go on inside a Virus Coder's head??

I know I'm probably going to get flamed or something similar for saying this. I honestly don't see what the problem is about writing viruses to infect someone that you just want to get revenge on for doing something to your own computer. I know someone in this thread is going to say something along the lines of "vengence is wrong" or something along those lines so please save because I already know this and I have heard it many times. I also don't have a problem with them if they follow what I just said and they don't send themselves to innocent people who had nothing to do with the original person or persons. I honestly don't know what goes on in those people's minds who write those huge viruses that infect thousands of computers "just for a cheap laugh".

Thumbs up

The age of innocence is over (if there ever was one).
    Many new programmers may be tempted to write
    a virus, just to test their skills.
    I remember the thrill of watching my first
    executable prog actually run on my computer!
    So imagine the kick you'd get from knowing
    that something you wrote could succesfully
    propagate and run throughout the world.
    If your ego needs stroking, try writing
    a useful application, or make a contribution
    to OS development. The first virus writers
    did it just to see if it could be done.
    Point proven. Now let's move on.
    Few of us have a sense of humor
    about viruses any more. Those who
    continue to write them risk a lot more
    that mere moral disapproval.
    My warning to wannabes:
    Don't get caught!
    If you do get caught,
    don't cry and run to mama.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

that was well stated

I've written a few virii in my time but have never felt the need to distribute them....I only ever wrote them to see if it could be done, then test them on a computer I own before either just deleting it or slinging it on disk somewhere out off harms reach - its like any other kind of coding its a challenge just to see if you can do it

but i agree with Shangrila I have no idea why peps would want to infect thousands of computers world wide and cause billions of $$$ of damage! Ok some may claim they do it for media attention well why don't they do something else like rcgreen says
    If your ego needs stroking, try writing a useful application, or make a contribution to OS development
    writing virii ain't wrong releasing them into the world is uber-stupid and wrong!!!!!

v_Ln