Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Human Cloning

Post Human Cloning

In MHO, I think human cloning is wrong and moraly incorrect. I was wondering what your views on the subject is and why? I was reading about human cloning and stem cell research and I came to the conclusion that science has went too far this time. This is where the proverbial "line" needs to be drawn. It's one thing to do research and experiments with animals but when you start useing unborn human cells for a mad lab experiment you need to realize that this is where the line need to be drawn. As the saying goes,
    "The buck stops here."

I can see as to why they would want to create a cure for all of those illnesses but tradeing one life for another hardly seems fair, especialy one that hasn't even been born. Researchers already have a set number of embryos and cells that they can experiment with in labs but it's not enough for them. They want more cells, more money, and a law to make human cloning acceptable.. Any way, what's your opinion on the subject?

Remote_Access_

Re: Human Cloning

Originally posted by Remote_Access_
    In MHO, I think human cloning is wrong and moraly incorrect. I was wondering what your views on the subject is and why?

<Puts on flame proof suit>

Personally, I'm amazed at what science is now capable of and not being a religous person I have little moral dilema with the subject. Although, I also understand (but am not sympathetic with) peoples concerns about human cloning.

This topic is closely related to the abortion debate and I suppose it's up to the individuals opinion of when a human embryo is actually considered human.

<Puts on flame proof suit>

Although it is amazing at the capabilities that science is capable of I find it some what disturbing that this sort of research is being conducted. I'm not a religious holier than thou person but I do find it to be interesting.. It's not really up to the individuals any more.. it's in the name of science and when ever they say it's considered a human it's considered a human, despite what the public belives.

Remote_Access_

I really have to agree with R_A_ on this, anway that's just my opinion.
    \"SI JE PUIS\"

Originally posted by Remote_Access_
    [BIt's not really up to the individuals any more.. it's in the name of science and when ever they say it's considered a human it's considered a human, despite what the public belives.

Remote_Access_ [/B]

I understand that science believes that it's NOT considered a true human at just the embryo stage of life where as alot of religous leaders do, especially catholic. Have you seen Monty Python's "The meaning of life"?. Every sperm is sacred, let the heathens fall in the dust

What if, through human cloning, your life was saved?

Anyway, I think I'm going to leave this one alone. I've just started to get back a few antipoints and I'd hate lose them again!

Good post...

Banned
    Although being an atheist despite whatever efforts my society put into making a devote Catholic I think that progress of this kind will eventually occur regardless of opposition.

Personally either way Im not overly interested, maybe my mind will change when it is put before me but we'll see...

No, I haven't seen that one. I wouldn't go so far as to say that every sperm is sacred, that's a little extreme. I wouldn't want my life to be saved by human cloning. I'd rather die....
    One Remote_Access_ is enough in this world and a duplicate just wouldn't be the same. Thanks for your reply though..

Remote_Access_

Banned
    There seem to be three reasons why people are against the cloning of human beings:

1. Mutation of genes : the techniques used for cloning are far from perfect; a solution would be to pre-maturely 'destroy the disfigured monsters'. That brings us back to the abortion-discussion...

Most scientists still DO believe it's too soon to actually start cloning humans.

Originally posted by Remote_Access
    They want more cells, more money, and a law to make human cloning acceptable..
    Maybe they want 'more cells, money, and a law to make it acceptable' so they can continue their research, and thus prevent malicious 'scientists' to start using the techniques available already... I agree it's too soon, but it once was too soon for test-tube babies also...

2. Emotional problems: identity problems that is; What happens to a marriage when the "father" sees his wife's clone grow up into the exact replica (by appearance) of the beautiful 18 year old he fell in love with 35 years ago?

Clones are not identical human beings. Compare it with identical twins, only there is a delay on their date of birth... Identical twins also are clones, but their still are unique individuals...

3. Abuse: Hitler...clones...hmmm....

This is IMO the most valid arguement, and at the same time a dangerous one. Everything ever invented has been subject to abuse...

4. Religious reasons.

Religion should not shape science policy... We've seen what that has lead to in the past...

I think cloning should be closely monitoried but I think the research could be benefitical. I also think it would be great if we could figure out a way to grow organs in the lab -without them being associated with a mind. this would greatly reduce the number of people who die while waiting for a transplant. This is years in the future.

I see the transplants as being created in a labortory without a mother. Grown completely syntitically (similar to the company in the movie the 6th Day).

Cheers,
    -D

I must say

I am amazed at everyone who's posted so far as no actual "flames" have been introduced into the thread!! This means theres intelligence by jove! I hope we can keep it this way!

As far as the advent of human cloning goes, I see two possible problems.

1. We are in fact, too far away from the "perfect" clone, this means trouble in the beginning, Experimentation is only as good as the controlled environment it is placed in, if we use odd cells in such medical experiments, we cannot guarantee the results to be perfect. This doesnt bother me with small things, but something as signifigant as a heart transplant or other life supportive reason I'm shaky!!

2. Yes, it is subject to abuse, much like marijuana, alcohol, or even the source code available in the downloads section of this site.

The second negative holds no difference from anything else in existance, I can misuse anything around me... anything!!

The positive to this is that researchers have better and more available materials with wich to operate with. This means sooner answers to diabetes, cancer, alzheimers, etc. Considering the benefits, it is easy to see why people are for the method.

Unfortunately, I'll stand behind negative number one... untill we can learn better controll over such research, and perfect the actuall cloning process there is no point in going forward other than to provide skewed test results, and a lot of controversy.

BTW. I'm not wearing a flame proof suit.. so dont burn me tushy plz he he

~JRC~
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.