Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: AO Newsletter #1

hey great job done ennis and mittens...good job keep up the good work..

intruder..

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Re: kudos-

Originally posted by comJo
    Very decent first newsletter. Do you need/want others submitting material for the newsletter? If so, where can one send an article or whatever?

OverandOut.
    comJo
    We always are looking for more articles. You can send your articles to me via PM or via email (msmittens@msmittens.com) by February 22, 2002 Midnight EST. We are looking for a range of articles from beginner levels to more advanced (we would like to see some more advanced articles).

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

That waz a really good newsletter... LEarned alot thankx
    XPaCiScOoL

[glowpurple]\"Your Smallest Flaw is my greatest Strength.\" - Me[/glowpurple]

BIOS Passwords

I think that it's excellent that someone took the time to put together a newsletter.

In the newsletter, it was stated that BIOS passwords were programs meant to protect windows 95 and were usually executed from autoexec.bat.

In actuality true BIOS passwords are executed by the BIOS no the motherboard,
    (hence the name) They are not resident anywhere on the hard drive, their values are stored in CMOS and the actualy bit of coding responsible for them is executed from the ROM or Flash Bios.

Some BIOS manufacturers put default passwords in their code so that passwords can be over-ridden, but it is seldom useful anymore, seeing as though there are hundreds of backup passwords.

The password can ususally be removed by removing the battery on the motherboard itself, although some motherboards require other steps to clear the CMOS. There is often a jumper for clearing cmos.

My favorite way to clear the CMOS if you have access to the computer once it is started is though direct port manipulation.
    you have to set port 70 to value 2E then set port 71 to value FF
    all values are in hexidecimal.

An easy way to do this is with debug, at the dos prompt type

debug
    o 70 2E
    o 71 FF
    q

-8trak
    F0 0F C7 C8

Banned
    great newsletter.

Wow, This is great.
    Congrats
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Intimate engagement,
    Think about it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is there anything I missed??

I logged into AO nearly after 2 months, and clicked on the attachment link, and it presents the vBulletin page saying that
    You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page.
    huh? Whats this??
    Ah well...I\'m back on AntiOnline!

Banned
    Its just a problem that occured today not a big change in the structure of the site, give it time and JP will sort it.

I too would like to read the newsletter but when I attempted it was hit with an AntiOnline Site Security Notice.
    The browsers that I used were IE 6.0 and OffbyOne 3.2.
    BTW, I was logged in. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Very good job! Keep up the good work so we may soon see something even better!!!

For all you who haven't download it, do it now, these kind of diamonds are very hard to find!!!
    My spells for your protection,

The Sorcerer