Thread: Linux requirements??

Question Linux requirements??

Hey im tryin to get an old system from some of my relatives to run linux off of. They have win 95 boxes. What would be the minimum requirement for linux to run smootly?
    XPaCiScOoL

[glowpurple]\"Your Smallest Flaw is my greatest Strength.\" - Me[/glowpurple]

Before I can answer, I must know, Do you want just the comand line, or do you want the gui too?
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Banned
    Well... It varie from version to version... For RedHat 7.1 you need
    • Processor — Any x86 processor (minimum required); Intel Pentium or AMD-K6 (minimum recommended).
    • RAM — 32 MB RAM (minimum required); 64 MB RAM (minimum recommended).
    • Hard Drive Free Space — 650 MB (minimum required); 1.5 GB (minimum required for Workstation-class installation with GNOME and KDE; 1.2 GB with only one); 1.2 GB (minimum required for Server-class installation); 1.5 GB (minimum required for Laptop-class installation with GNOME and KDE; 1.2 GB with only one); 2.4 GB (minimum required for Custom-class installation if every package is selected); 1.2 GB (minimum required to use automatic partitioning); 3 GB (minimum recommended to allow space for updates and additional software).

The lower the version the less the requirements if its a Win95 box... I recomment RedHat 6.2
    • Processor — Any x86 processor (minimum required); Intel Pentium or AMD-K6 (minimum recommended).
    • RAM — 16 MB RAM (minimum required); 32 MB RAM (minimum recommended).
    • Hard Drive Free Space — 500 MB (minimum required); 1.2 GB (minimum required for Workstation-class installation with GNOME and KDE; 700 MB with only one); 1.7 GB (minimum required for Server-class installation); 1.7 GB (minimum required for Custom-class installation if every package is selected); 2 GB (minimum recommended to allow space for updates and additional software).

Hope this helps

AntiOnline Senior Member
    I am running RH 7.2, and the GUI is Gnome on a 200MHZ Pentium, 96 meg ram, with 4 gigs of HD. It runs pretty good.
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]

alright thanx guys
    XPaCiScOoL

[glowpurple]\"Your Smallest Flaw is my greatest Strength.\" - Me[/glowpurple]