Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aol-takes Over Linux

Angry Aol-takes Over Linux

@ 5:43 TODAY CNN HAD A REPORT THAT AOL WAS LOOKING INTO RED HAT CORP,-WHICH IS THE MAKER OF LINUX TECHNOLGY,DOING PROFILES AND SHARE PRICE FOR A POSSIBLE TAKEOVER OF THE COMPANY AND IT'S EMPLOYEES
    Life is like a **** sandwich,
    The more bread u have the less **** u have to eat

What would they do with Red Hat anyway?
    Now linux will have AOL as an integrated browser just like MS has IE.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Thats like saying "Volvo take over Ferrari".....
    \"It\'s not wise to argue with a fool...people might not be able to tell the difference!\"

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    AOL, largest ISP in the country...with it's own frontend proprietary method of reaching the net.

It's not a secret to know that AOL and MS have been going back and forth on the browser front for a while, with AOL wanting their "browser" in front of IE...which isn't pleasing to MS at all. What would this "alliance" do for AOL? Well, it'd be beneficial to them only because they'd have stability on an OS that wasn't MS-bound and they'd use their browser instead of anything else.

MS would lose because now, machines aren't run on Windows anymore, and that's that much control they would lose.

MS vs. AOL - round one...

There's articles on this, I just don't know where...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

I wonder how this will affect the Open Source Community? I mean, a Multinational like AOL looking into an Open Source company? Doesn't really make sense....
    \"It\'s not wise to argue with a fool...people might not be able to tell the difference!\"

Thumbs down

This is just disgusting.....i mean there are other ways to get back at microsoft then tainting something thats good. Whats next microsoft taking over caldera???where will the maddness stop
    Microsoft =

Originally posted by casper3699
    What so are they trying to turn linux into **** now just like AOL is?
    What would they do with Red Hat anyway?

Well Casper, imagine AOL - with all it's companies under it's belt - move onto a different OS. That would be some feat. For even MS hasn't done that yet (I think ). AOL buying RedHat would not only allow it's reputation a boost, but also it's AOL community a huge boost, being that RedHat is top provider distro of them all. Yet I have RedHat (amoungst other distros) and I'm certain I won't be needing nor using AOL's service. So AOL will have to lax on it's "user-friendliness" for it to acheive a few hundred-thousand users. AOL and Microsoft have been at battle for a while now, with AOL's browser-in-ISP and Microsoft's IE/MSN ISP.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

I don't like the sound of this at all. A company geared to stupid people taking over an OS geared to smart people? It won't work, I guarantee it. People will stop buying Red Hat. The only question this brings up is "What's going to be the next favorite distro?"

that is not going to happen, almost of 80% of linux gurus
    hates AOL (it's the fact!). and if AOL happens to take over
    linux what would they benefit from. after all, linux is co-
    mmited to an open source program
    \"The more you ignore me... the closer i get!\"

Re: Stflook

Originally posted by stflook
    I don't like the sound of this at all. A company geared to stupid people taking over an OS geared to smart people? It won't work, I guarantee it. People will stop buying Red Hat. The only question this brings up is "What's going to be the next favorite distro?"

Slackware!!!!
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]