View Poll Results: Which would you prefer in programs?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Removed functionality

5 20.83%
  • Time limited

5 20.83%
  • Ads/banners

13 54.17%
  • Spyware

1 4.17%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poll: What's your programming level?

Re: Poll: What's your programming level?

Originally posted by MsMittens
    For the upcoming newsletter we are curious as to what is the current level of most of our security programmers here. The reason we are asking this is to help tailor the articles on programming to the majority. This doesn't mean we will leave out beginner programming tutorials but we would like to know if it will be worthwhile to include some intermediate and advanced programming articles.

So put your place on the poll. Many thanks.
    MsMittens, I have a problem with the way this poll was worded.

I am an example of why it's a problem. I code in Visual Basic (don't lynch me please), C, PHP, ASP (VBScript), Some Java, etc..

On a day to day basis, I use PHP and ASP, I do not use C or Visual Basic. As such, I can fall into several categories. I could say that I am a beginner, because I have to refer to manuals and etc. on the rare occasions I do write code in C or VB. I could also say I'm Advanced because with PHP and ASP I write them both all the time.

I picked Intermediate-Advanced because it really depends on the language we're discussing. I imagine quite a few others face similar problems. I for one intend to continue learning programming languages, so I'll have the same problem in the future.

Perhaps a wide variety of articles on various languages would be a good idea. I would be willing to contribute to future editions of the e-zine if you're interested in having more contributors.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    chsh,

I understand where you are coming from in regards to the wording of the poll. It was hard to create a poll that would get to the heart of the matter: basically, how comfortable are our users with programming in general? If users are very comfortable, then articles targetting intermediate to advanced would be requested more often. If users are new to programming in general then articles targetting towards beginner to intermediate should be appearing more often (it appears that users are in the latter group).

This poll was more of a straw vote to help tailor the articles as much as possible. We needed to start from somewhere. I know that we will not please everyone, especially with a membership base well over 50,000 but we would like to try to meet the needs of as many as possible. I realize that some people are probably more advanced in some languages over others and some of the articles on those languages, whether a beginner one or an advanced one, may yet still bring some glimmer of knowledge that even the most advanced programmer might not of thought of.

That all said I would love an article from you on your language of choice, ideally with security in mind. Perhaps along the lines of what Wizeman asked for. If you are interested do not hesitate to PM me or email me at msmittens@msmittens.com

Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

im a below beginner i suppose but i dont see why you cant tailer to me as well as to the advanced master in the mean time ill be in the bottle waiting to see what you end up with

i really agree with wiseman you can find programming tutorials for most anything but ive not seen any security programming tutorials and i would think that to be a great idea

Kwiep
    Well i'm pretty comfortable, but not the very best so the second it's goin to be than (if it still counts)...
    Double Dutch