Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home is where the hacker is...

Home is where the hacker is...

Thanks to advancing technology and the growth of high-speed Internet service, home computer systems have become faster and more powerful. But they remain a favorite target of hackers and virus writers who are looking for easy prey with less fear of prosecution.

Experts say that while home user security -- primarily the use of antivirus and firewall software -- is getting better, computer hackers are still taking advantage of home users' overall lack of expertise and security resources to make "launching pads" out of their systems.

And while one home computer does not have the power or connectivity of a corporation or university system -- formerly a favorite hacker target -- recent attacks show how hundreds or even thousands of home machines can be taken over for use by attackers.

http://www.blackcode.com/news/view.php?id=155

Note: I hate it when lammers attack home users.. what is the world comming to?!
    I mean im sure u guys agree with me.. attacking home users is really damn low.. and very pathetic...

I have indeed been attacked at home before, by a denial of service attack, and another time by some punk who tried port scanning my computer. The first attack was effective but only temporarily in that with a dynamic ip, I was able to escape. Nothing ever came of the second attack. My ports are hard to get through unless I want you through. Now I know a lot have been attacked more than me, but as a dial up user I dont have nearly as many problems as someone with a static ip.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

home computer are kinda boring to hack... but most kids that take up hacking try there skills on home computers first

Security in my home network is tight, but ddos is something that has been a nightmare, I had my website eat packets 24/7 once by a buncha kiddies.
    Now that does not improve a relationship between a customer and his ISP.

I am a cracker
    Thanks to advancing technology and the growth of high-speed Internet service, home computer systems have become faster and more powerful. But they remain a favorite target of hackers and virus writers who are looking for easy prey with less fear of prosecution

Yes home computers have definitely become faster and more powerful. BUT THEY DO NOT REMAIN A FAVORITE TARGET OF HACKERS! Thats just media hype what kind of hacker will gain any respect for hacking a windows home computer.Does any hacker likely expect to get points for slowing down, or stopping, your little home computer? It's not even a server, is it? Always remember: hackers wants to get points- they want to get respect, usually from other hackers. They're unlikely to gain a reputation by denying service to little, unknown system like yours.

Cool

Yes home computers have definitely become faster and more powerful. BUT THEY DO NOT REMAIN A FAVORITE TARGET OF HACKERS!
    well not to hackers.. but kiddies though.. little kiddies that are on a power trip.. juz coz they have a nuker and knows how to use Sub7 and BO2K they think they are l337 and god-like.. so they start attacking home users.. note that BO2k and Sub7 was designed to attack home users especially on IRC.. Network Servers are just too complex for BO2K and Sub7 kiddies to handle..

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Yes home computers have definitely become faster and more powerful. BUT THEY DO NOT REMAIN A FAVORITE TARGET OF HACKERS! Thats just media hype what kind of hacker will gain any respect for hacking a windows home computer.Does any hacker likely expect to get points for slowing down, or stopping, your little home computer? It's not even a server, is it? Always remember: hackers wants to get points- they want to get respect, usually from other hackers. They're unlikely to gain a reputation by denying service to little, unknown system like yours.
    Hackers don't target home computers to begin with. Not true "hackers" anyways. True hackers are the badass fsckers who've been working with computers for 20 years or so, know 4 or 5 hardcore languages, and can read source code in their sleep... And they don't care about your piddly little winblows machine running IE6.

Script kiddies are a different story. They're on the other end of the spectrum, being grossly uneducated, having everything given to them freely on the net (invariably being written by someone who really knows their shite), and are out to do nothing but harm to other people's computers. They target home machines and web servers (defacement) simply because that's the only way they get recognized and it's the only way they feel "big and bad" because deep down, they know they don't know anything, are less than worthless, and basically, they're an ass. Why? I don't know.

I have no idea why these kiddies feel important when they slow someone down, drop someone off the net, knock over some .edu server, or deface websites. As if that 'l33t' speak is going to impress or make me fear them. What makes them so worthless is the fact that they don't even try to educate themselves further to actually doing anything worthwhile. I'd give a kiddie more respect if they said "Yeah, I DoSed this one guy off the net and then figured out that to make it blockable, you could do this to the code". Even if he was wrong, I'd give him points for at least trying to understand what it does. Unfortunately, not many (any in my case) have ever shown that initiative. These are the same idiots that stand around at a movie theater with their skateboards and backwards hats talking about how cool they are because of it. Yes, I've actually heard that before but because I didn't want to go to jail for killing some punkass bitch, I decided not to say anything or laugh in their face for their lack of knowledge/intelligence. Fsckers...

Moral of the story: script kiddies will knock over home computers or use them as DDoS stations because that's all they can do. A true hacker would leave no trace of his existence on a server or any other machine he touched.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Vorlin is right - hackers don't mess with home systems, kiddies mess with home systems. What draws a kiddie to a home system? To me, it seems its the ease of the 'hack.' Although I wouldn't call what kiddies do to home machines hacking, home computers for the most part are easy targets. A fair number of people who are online know nothing of the possible security risks and threats that they are exposed to each time they connect. It's even worse for broadband users with always on connections - your average broadband user may not even know that they need to at a minimum, run some firewall software. I've helped to secure many of my friends and relatives machines that have broadband connections when they didn't realize about security risks. These kiddies target the home user because many times the home user doesn't know any better - and as stated earlier, these kiddies lack the true knowledge and initiative to actually 'hack' and learn on their own. The kiddies that hack public servers and such are out for some recognition, but its pointless because no recognition should be given to a kiddie who follows step by step instructions on how to deface a web site.

Just my thoughts...
    - Maverick

I agree with 'I am a cracker', their is no kudos in the hacking world by hacking
    a home computer. You gain hacker status when others call you a hacker,
    not just because you call yourself one.

sOnIc is right too, but these 'kiddies with nukes' may well one day learn the
    tricks of their trade and progress onto harder hacks. It is up to the individual,
    to ensure their home puters are safe from these wannabe-hackers-in-waiting.

Originally posted by Vorlin

Hackers don't target home computers to begin with. Not true "hackers" anyways. True hackers are the badass fsckers who've been working with computers for 20 years or so, know 4 or 5 hardcore languages, and can read source code in their sleep... And they don't care about your piddly little winblows machine running IE6.

Script kiddies are a different story. They're on the other end of the spectrum, being grossly uneducated, having everything given to them freely on the net (invariably being written by someone who really knows their shite), and are out to do nothing but harm to other people's computers. They target home machines and web servers (defacement) simply because that's the only way they get recognized and it's the only way they feel "big and bad" because deep down, they know they don't know anything, are less than worthless, and basically, they're an ass. Why? I don't know.

I have no idea why these kiddies feel important when they slow someone down, drop someone off the net, knock over some .edu server, or deface websites. As if that 'l33t' speak is going to impress or make me fear them. What makes them so worthless is the fact that they don't even try to educate themselves further to actually doing anything worthwhile. I'd give a kiddie more respect if they said "Yeah, I DoSed this one guy off the net and then figured out that to make it blockable, you could do this to the code". Even if he was wrong, I'd give him points for at least trying to understand what it does. Unfortunately, not many (any in my case) have ever shown that initiative. These are the same idiots that stand around at a movie theater with their skateboards and backwards hats talking about how cool they are because of it. Yes, I've actually heard that before but because I didn't want to go to jail for killing some punkass bitch, I decided not to say anything or laugh in their face for their lack of knowledge/intelligence. Fsckers...

Moral of the story: script kiddies will knock over home computers or use them as DDoS stations because that's all they can do. A true hacker would leave no trace of his existence on a server or any other machine he touched.
    Vorlin's dead on here, sadly Home computers are often used as places to get such things as Credit Card #'s, account passwords, and as jump off points for DDoS and other nasty attacks. Nine times out of ten, it's the kiddies doing it cause they think they're elite (although there could be a possible greater threat here as well). I predicted something like this was gonna happen 3-4 years ago and it has happened (want proof? Just take a peek at my router logs.) If ya want more go in my closet, where there's a whole frigin file box full of articles on Home user security. In my head are far worse senarios.