Thread: Dream...

Banned

Post Dream...

If when we dream, we could be dreaming about someone elses reality... What makes us think our reality isnt someone elses dream? What does everyone think of this... How would you interpret it?

Is that very close to the philosophy of Rene Descartes. He went off on the tangent of I had a dream last night so real I could not distinguish it from reality. How do I know that I am not dreaming right now. If we add to that my real seeming dream is someone elses reality wouldn't that suggest that death in a dream is death in reality? I have a problem w/that concept (I've died in dreams -it sucks but still I walk the earth).

AntiOnline Jr. Member
    well from a scientific perspective a dream is your brain trying to figure out those daily or reoccuring problems u face
    its like natures was of brainstorming no matter how rediculous the dream some how we learn from them
    basicly during sleep your logic shuts down and the active brain takes over.
    things that are on your mind are in essence acted out.
    have u ever noticed people saying "let me sleep on it"
    usually you wake up feeling good and the problems u have dont seem so bad, or an answer is not far.
    i wish i had the energy to expand on this but its late and i must be off to school in the morning

AntiOnline Jr. Member
    one more thing this kinda sounds like THE MATRIX
    and i have to say what a great movie

That is a case of solipsism. Interesting philosophy. Do you know which book of DesCartes that is in? It isn't Meditations on First Philosophy is it?

Hmm, it does sound a little like the Matrix, but I think the Matrix applies better to Plato's Republic and the reference to the cave and the simile of the line. Hmm, that could be a fun post. I think I will follow that tangent.

dhej

Well, I don't know about dreaming about someone elses reality. I think that our dreams have something to do with our own lives and how we feel. We have no control of them, but they still are derived from our experiences. I've heard that EVERYTIME you sleep, you dream. But, I can maybe remember my dreams about 20% of the time when I wake up. So 80% I feel as though I have not dreamt that night at all.

What do you people think about 'deja vu'?? Do you think that when you feel it, it's something from a dream or what? Maybe just something going wrong in the brain? I don't know, I maybe think it could have come from a dream, sometimes I have a deja vu feeling and it feels SO real and it kinda feels like I can predict what will happen in one seconds time - very weird?

Or, maybe it's just a glitch in the matrix?? hehe!!

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

i don't put much faith into the whole dreams are another reality nor that they can predict the future or that kind of thing - but they are deffinitly needed in order to sort your head out

I think they are just random thoughts/images/ideas being passed about in your mind and sorted into the filling cabinet of your brain!!

As for deja vu - maybe theres a lil fortune teller in us all

v_Ln

While out at dinner we got onto the topic of 'deja vu' and it was very interesting - I was very curious in what peole thought it was and if there were any scientific explanations. So I quickly jumped on to google (duh...what else?) and this is what I found (you might have probably heard this before).

The two main explanations that scientists are saying are:

1. Somehow information travelling from the short-term memory section of the brain gets mixed up with the long-term memory of the brain, so that you think it came from the long-term brain. They still cannot explain how this could happen, but believe it can. So anyways, when you receive the info, thinking it's from the long-term memory, it seems like something that happened before and thus, it seems like you have experienced the scenario previously.

2. There is a mismatch made by the brain when it tries to create pictures from small pieces of information. Only bits of information are needed by the brain for it to re-construct entire three-dimensional images. Thus, sometimes when the brain receives a small sensory input (like a sight, sound, smell) that is almost identically similar to such detail in the past, the entire memory image is brought forward. This means that the brain has taken something from the past and made it seem like something from the present.

Very interesting experiences. For all of you who have experienced 'deja vu', don't you think it's fascinating? I do - I like it when it happens...feels weird.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

All I all do when that happens is I wake up (reboot) and have a shower (defrag and antivirus check) then go have breakfast (add patches to os and apps). Works every day.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Banned
    Deja vu is amazing, I swear it has happened quite a lot to me and you get a weird feeling.

Crazy stuff