Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need some advice

Question need some advice

i am at school right now and the computer i am at has smartfilter on it. when i tried clicking on some links, or going to such places as 2600.com, it will block me out with the 'criminal skills' message. i can't access the preferences page. how can i get around this? this pisses me off because i can't look up simple security sites in some cases ( either because of meta or name).

try www.google.com and use the cached page feature.

J.

You can try a Google search for the various sites you want and then view the 'Cached' pages on Google.

DjM

Thumbs up

Don't you have a computer at home?
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Thumbs down

It's unlikely you'll get round this one.
    The smartsniffer will be either locked down on that PC or
    if running on a network you will not granted write/update permissions for the configuration files or
    if being hosted externally (by your ISP) it will be beyond your reach.

Easiest way is use a PC at home where no restrictions apply.

Life is deliberately made difficult for those trying to do non-academic studies in schools, etc.

Wink

as a matter of fact it did work (I recieved a msg to that effect)
    I agree that the best solution is to have your own internet connection but with tricks like the google cache, it makes it easier to bypass some blocks.

J.

hmmm...very interesting thought. Since web filters are typically category or URL based, this concept does make sense. I am going to have to try it myself

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by iNViCTuS
    hmmm...very interesting thought. Since web filters are typically category or URL based, this concept does make sense. I am going to have to try it myself

Thanks guys.
    Typically they are URL based, what makes this work is the URL being checked by the filter is Google's site rather the the original site. (eg www.2600.com)

Sometimes it as easy as turning off the proxy (tools/internet options/Connection/Lan Settings). . . This works in my office.

oblio
    Many of these filter softwares, do so by filtering the name and not the ip address due to the fact that for redundancy reasons, some servers can switch ip addresses. Simply within an msdos prompt, type nslookup 2600.com. A heading saying the domain entered and its respective address will appear. Take the numeric address and enter that as your url.