Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer question?

I am a cracker

Post Computer question?

I am on windows 98 O.S I want to be able to sign on the internet with any custom I.P number I know how to set the Microsoft TCP/IP Properties. You know where you can put in your own ip number your subnet mask default gateway etc... Everytime I try to get on the internet with a custom ip number it never works.... What kind of computer hardware or software can I buy or download to get this to work all help is appreciated? I know all about the DHCP thats assigns a ip number for you
    You wanna meet some hoes come to Y-bor city baby

I am pretty sure that you need a designated IP address. Thats what your ISP gives you when you log on to the internet. How do youi connect to the internet? Cable, DSL, Dialup?
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

I am a cracker
    I am on a 56k connection dial-up do you know if AOL Can issue shell accounts?

with norton's internet security 2002 firewall

This is another reason why
    o
    o88o
    o88888o
    o88888888o
    o88º°´¨ ¸,.¸ ¨`°º
    o8º¸,o888'88o, , •ßÃ*g Cracker
    o8¹,o880000088, ¹o
    o8,oº¸8000000008 ,8o
    o888' ,8000000000' ,o888o
    o8888 '880000088,o0º¸888o
    o888886 °080008880°¸o8888o
    o8888888o. `° ººº°´ .o'888888o
    America On-line Sux!

I think you mean dynamic IP (ie: a fairly different IP everytime your on the internet), changing the IP address of the PC your on has no effect (your internet connection has it's own IP), if your using m$ win98 then when online, from a DOS prompt type 'winipcfg', that'll tell you what your 'on-line' IP is. Some sites will also display your IP when you visit them eg: on-line IP check

The quick answer is... pay for a real ISP (Internet Service Provider) and then you have more control of what happens.

The long answer is... install a *nix distro (dual boot your current set-up) then you'll have a shell account plus much, much more.

PS. AOL (& most ISP's) do not 'issue' shell accounts, most shell accounts that you'll find online will be restricted to a point where they're of little use.

oblio
    to connect with a static ip address you must pay your internet provider for the ip address and they will assign it, only then can you enter an ip address into the tcp/ip properties for that device. As far as I know, AOL does not provide remote unix accounts whatsoever.

Cool

In order to do this, you have to have a static IP address assigned to you by your ISP. If you are attempting to "Spoof" your IP address...don't even bother (long story, don't ask unless you are running Windows XP, then you have RAW socket support and MIGHT if lucky be able to spoof a UDP packet). If you are needing this for hosting a server, I would check with my ISP first and make 100% sure that running a server is acceptable under the AUP, and ask them if you can obtain a static IP address. If they do have a policy against running servers, (and you want to break the AUP)...don't say anything about the static IP, hang-up, call back after a day or two, and ask about static IPs. If they ask why you want one, tell them you work for a company (IBM is a good example of a company) and have a piece of VPN software that lets you VPN into your office to do work. Tell them that your office computer has a firewall, and the admin needs you to have a static IP in order to allow connections on the firewall.

Another way to possible do what you want it to change the "last good IP on this adapter" key in the registry (not for sure where this is but I have SEEN it before)...basically windows attempts to grab the last IP address it had from the DHCP server (if your ISP is using DHCP, AKA bridged VC based DSL networks). basically you in theory could change this to an IP address really high up in the ISPs IP pool and have a pseudo-static IP address, as long as no one ever pulled the IP address you specified.

The SIMPLE answer to your question is NO, you can NOT do that without telling your ISP (think about what would happen if both me AND you specify say 209.152.0.155 as our IP addresses, how would THAT EVER route?)

And also just to be retarded and let you know, if you are using any type of PPP service (56k, or ADSL that uses DUN or any type of PPPoE software), you are actually not getting an IP address from a DHCP server, it is coming from a RADIUS server, which basically says, "Hey, is this username/password valid?, yep...here is an IP address....or Is this valid? Nope....BOOM Mr. 691 message (could also be a 645 depending upon how the server is setup)..." I hope this answers your questions as well as clears things up for anyone that ever wondered about anything I have said...if anyone has any questions...feel free to respond... and yet again, I feel that I have written too much and no one will read this....oh well!

I am a cracker
    Thanks for all your help guys!

Wink Oh and something else just because I just thought of it!

Jcdux,
    changing the IP address of the PC your on has no effect
    Yes..actually it does, let's say your current IP address is 209.152.0.139, and your ISP is setup to use the default gateway on the remote network. When you goto DOS and type "Route print" or "netstat -rn" you will get the routing table. The first line of this will look like:
    Network address: Netmask: Gateway: Interface: Metric:
    0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 209.152.0.139 209.152.0.139 1

basically this means that anything addressed to an IP address from 0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255 will go out on the gateway address, on the specified interface. Basically when you specify an IP address in the TCP/IP settings in the network control panel (was that a run-on?). it would change this line to read.

Network address: Netmask: Gateway: Interface: Metric:
    0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <ip address> <ip address> 1

where <ip address> is what was specified under the TCP/IP settings, it will take prisdence over the obtained IP address if the adapter attempts to obtain one upon connection, and thus will cause the traffic on the internet to be routed out of your computer incorrectly, Thus explaining why when you specified this you couldn't surf, and people could not ping you, and you could not ping out.

Just thought I would bring that up too!
    Hope it was helpful to someone....

Re: Computer question?

Originally posted by I am a cracker
    I am on windows 98 O.S I want to be able to sign on the internet with any custom I.P number I know how to set the Microsoft TCP/IP Properties. You know where you can put in your own ip number your subnet mask default gateway etc... Everytime I try to get on the internet with a custom ip number it never works.... What kind of computer hardware or software can I buy or download to get this to work all help is appreciated? I know all about the DHCP thats assigns a ip number for you
    * It's possible but first you should retrieve the IP-range of your ISP.

* Than you go to (start>settings>control panel>network>doubleclick TCP/IP dialupadapter> than go to section IP address> point the option automatically use this IP adress where you enter a not much used IP address of the range mostly near the last of the range> "ok"> u also check wheter the Client for Microsoft Networks is in the components list, and if the individual client is included in that list it's better that u remove it, unless your ISP uses that, which is very questionable than.
    "ok" again, restart PC, make connection normally you have now always that static address.
    \"An artist cannot fail, it\'s already a success to be one!\"

\"Before you open your mouth to speak, please make sure it\'s an improvement upon the silence.\"

Im gonna assume that you have malicious actions in mind when you say you are trying to connect to the internet with an ip other than the one you have. Are you out there stealing ips and trying to use them for malicious deeds? Why do you think we will help you? Come to irc.antionline.com, I will help you there.

= devilish grin
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19