Thread: Tux and Bill buddys?

Tux and Bill buddys?

is there anyway to move files from your a windows partition to a linux one?

-Guerrilla Se7en

ftp?
    Directly connect the two and linux should read the file system.

What exactly are you trying to do.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

you can use the mount command to mount the windows partition (/dev/hdaX) to /windrive or something (which is what I did). At any rate, you can transfer the files from partition to partition. I was using Caldera OpenLinux 2.2.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Question

how whould i do that(i'm new to linux....)

-Guerrilla Se7en

What format is your Windows partition in? I hope its FAT/32, as from what I've read, the NTFS support under Linux is rather sketchy, as M$ refuses to release the source to NTFS, making the writing of a driver for it to be pretty much trial and error...

I don't know what Linux your using, but here is the document I used when I was setting up my Win98 partition to be mounted on boot..
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Originally posted by guerrillase7en
    how whould i do that(i'm new to linux....)
    Well, you'd figure out which partition windows was on by using (as root)

Code:
    [root@comp /]# fdisk -l
    That should print out the list of all your partitions. You'll be able to identify your Win partition as vFAT, FAT, or NTFS (if you're dual booting WinNT/2k/XP and linux). If it's an NTFS partition, follow Matty's advice and check out that site, otherwise do the following (as root):

Code:
    [root@comp /]# mkdir /mnt/win1
    [root@comp /]# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/win1
    Note that if the partition you are trying to mount shows up as like, /dev/hda5 or something similar, you'll have to adjust the mount command to suit.

Once you have it mounted, you just cd into /mnt/win1 and that's the root of the partition. So if /dev/hda1 is your only windows partition, then /mnt/win1 is the same as c:\ under Windows.

If you want it persistent, then follow the instructions on the site that Matty gave out.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Thumbs up :)

thank you so much didn't want to re d/l all my movies/music

-Guerrilla Se7en