Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Senior Member Status

Senior Member Status

JP, my name is Anthony, and you probably know me from IRC. Anyway my suggestion is to increase the minimum number of posts required to be a senior member to 250. This is not to exclude anyone, but to help recognize the actual Senior Members here on antionline. Many members are hurrying up and making a lot of useless posts(FreeAgent) so that they can have senior member status, and this has to stop. Please read this and thank you.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Though such a change would cause me to lose my "Senior" status.... I think it is probably a good idea.

I have never liked that one can be seen to have "status" on boards simply becuase of the number of posts.

Many discussion forums are like that....

250 is just as easy to hit, id have to suggest it being 400 post ...

im not a senior member yet, but im a little more then half way there and i dont feel as if ive even come close to deserve the status of senior member...

so if JP does read this.. id suggest it to be 400 ..

_NetSyN_
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

I agree. In my opinion it should be bumped up to a higher number. I'm pretty close to becoming a senior member, and I don't feel i deserve it. My knowledge of computers is growing daily but compared to some members here, my computer knowledge pales in comparison...

Well, I'd suggest using amount of time as a member. Personally, I've been reading AntiOnline.com for over 2 years now (if you check the old mail bags you'll find a letter from me, Scott Coull), and I obviously don't post if I don't have something meaningful to add to the post, which means I don't post very often. I don't think it is fair to say that a number of posts is the way to determine Senior Membership.

Also, I don't want to sound like I'm lusting after it, cause it doesn't really mean anything to me, but it just doesn't make sense that the number of posts determines seniority.

Anyway, that is just my suggestion.

Regards,
    Wizeman
    \"It\'s only arrogrance if you can\'t back it up, otherwise it is confidence.\" - Me

I have already recieved negative antipoints on this, but keep in mind. Im not a bitch. I am not trying to exclude anyone. I would gladly give up my senior member status, I do not post for a status, I post to learn and help.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

I don't think it should go on post...maybe antipoint instead or prehaps JP can choose some people to be senior members & the rest of us just be members

Re: Senior Member Status opinion

Do I think a members seniority should be based on posts?
    No.
    Do I think the number of posts to become a senior members should increase?
    No.
    Do I have any suggestions?
    Yes, I do.

******Suggestion********

Although I do not believe that a members seniority is determined by posts and that the number of posts to become a senior member should not change... I do have an idea.

I believe that a member should apply for senior membership when they (can't be sexist, now can we?) feels worthy. That's right, just as one would apply for a credit card, so should they for senior membership.

*******Example1********

Lets say that our hypothetical user, (Gee)Iam(Stupid), just happens to have enough posts to become a senior member. In our surrent situation, he would be granted instant membership into the senior club and all of its status privilages. Under my proposed system, the hypothetical user would have to apply to the -=[Senior Membership Approval Committee]=-, who would then take a look at what our user has posted (note: this would take some time... almost like applying for college!), and determine whether or not (Gee)Iam(Stupid) is worthy enough to become a coveted Senior Member. This approval would have be done by a generally unbiased committee of members. As mentioned previously, this would take a while.

**End Example 1*********
    Welcome to Hell , where we have served more than all of the fast food chains put together! And the number grows everyday! Stay tuned!

Kudos

I agree with "psychosquee" post. One slite modification. Raise the post limit on member status. Then let JP an some of the level-headed ubiased old timers decide on senior status. If this would involve to much work. Then stick with uping the points and posts for this status. I may take longer, but I'm more interested in the quality than the quantity of the posts.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

I say we bump it up to about a thousand. Well, true, it's difficult to have any sort of system in place that evaluates people... Now if we all came with a User.Worthyness variable, it might be possible, but we don't...

The idea of a board of approval is nice, but I'm not sure how that would be executed well. If not that, I would prefer an equation using mixed post-amount and registered-time. Exactly what that is... <shrug> Remember, the whole 'member level' stuff is pretty much built-in board options, it's not like a super feature-rich framework is necessarily in place.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency