Thread: Another Lindows update

Another Lindows update

I found a review of the Lindows OS preview.... Apparently the OS is easier to use than other versions of Linux, and most of the "weird" and seldom used applications delivered with other distros are removed. As some of you have seen of the screenshots Lindows resembles Windows, and the developers have tried to make the interface easy to use for Windows-users. So this could be a threat to the Windows regieme.

However, what we all want to know is will Lindows be able to run all Windows applications? The preview didn't work too good, and it's not very compatible with Windows. But remember this is an early version. To all you gamers out there: The Lindows developers' first goal will be to get the well-known desktop applications for Windows working, such as Lotus Notes and MS Office. You can't blame them, that's where the mony is. And you should keep in mind that making a 100% windows compatible OS is one hell of a difficult job, so what these guys need is time and money. (And of course, Coca-Cola is the programmers fuel... )

Why didn't I give you a link to the review? It's not in english.
    ---
    proactive

haha so this is like the mix of the best of both worlds eh? the security of linux and the user friendlyness of windows.. too bad lindows sounds ermm wierd.. i prefer winux..

Lindows? I've never heard of it. Anyone know their official site if they have one?
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

Arrow

http://www.lindows.com/
    An excerpt from the site:
    "LindowsOS is a modern and affordable operating system for Pentium based computers. LindowsOS, due out 1st Quarter of 2002, will have the unique ability to run Linux® software titles as well as many popular Microsoft® Windows® software titles giving computer owners and organizations of all sizes new options on the desktop. "

This may or may not be what makes the breakthough on OS crossover and usability. If it works like they want it to. It will be a nice tool for network admins. Cross platform managment would take on a whole new look and role in the work inviroment.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

I for one am not going to hold my breath for this release. Most of the various Linux releases are on the 7th or 8th revision, and still there are the odd bugs here and there which need to be ironed out. Would be a braver person than me who would put their faith in the first release of an O/S.

I hope it gains some of the big hw companies support - otherwise it won't make mainstream.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

I gave up on Lindows two newsletters ago...

I now use slackware linux (www.slackware.com) with winex (www.transgaming.com)..
    works fine..

if anyone wants to know... the anonimous-cvs @ transgaming is free... so u don't even have to pay for winex

so.. I'll just let lindows pass untill they hit version 3.1 or something...
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    It seems Lindows is trying to do, in one environment, what Wine or VMWare do already.
    I've seen games run on Wine fairly well, and I've seen linux (Redhat) with VMWare workstation run games off of 98SE. Only problem with VMWare, my choice, is that you have to have some pretty hefty processor power, sizable disks, and a fair amount of memory due to the fact that you're 'hosting' a guest OS. Something that VMWare has conquered is getting "thousands" of popular windows applications to run on linux through it's interface. That's all well and good but until I can just buy a game off the shelf for windows (because now that Loki is gone, it's up to the vendor to create linux games, and I just don't see that happening) and play it on my linux box through wine or vmware, I'll just stick with Windows and a separate linux box. VMWare has a ways to go because everything is emulated (like others) and not all games like that.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.