Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wto

Wto

I know this an old subject and has been discussed before, but with the new meeting and protests, maybe there are some new opinions.

The World Trade Organization (WTO) is among the most powerful, and one of the most secretive international bodies on earth. It is rapidly assuming the role of global government, as 134 nation-states, including the U.S., have ceded to its vast authority and powers. The WTO represents the rules-based regime of the policy of economic globalization. The central operating principal of the WTO is that commercial interests should supersede all others.

It forced the US to lower its standards on oil, to allow for the sale of Mexican oil in the united states, even though it would cause more polution.

Do you think the WTO is a good thing or not?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I don't think that an organization that can tell alot of countries what to do is a good thing. Why would a great organization allow the sale of Mexican oil in the U.S. knowing that it would cause more pollution. Don't we have enough pollution in the world? All of these agencies are only about money and that pisses me off. Well like they say money is the root of all evil.

Any organization with only one idea is, in my opinion, a bad idea. There are so many views to a single issue that if any organization, such as the WTO, decides to change things it can't help but anger another org. But since the WTO is as powerful as it is, it doesn't need to worry about others. Those in power can stomp on any person or opinion they dislike and usually, to get into power they have to do so.

The same applies in the government. The elected officials are supposed to represent the voters, but more often than not they just want to save their own political asses. Not that I would want anarchy or anything like that, cause in my opinion, out of anarchy rises a dictator.

Before I get more off topic I just want to say that the WTO is a bad idea, at least until international Environment, Humanity, Entertainment, Ethical groups with the same power are all joined together. But then the committee would be to big, and nothing would happen.

Ah, **** it all, while trying to present different sides I ended up contradicting myself. Oh well.
    Why am I still here?

Yeah i know what you mean. its a tough one.
    i once thought anarchy was a good idea, til i looked at the people around me. these folks need RULES.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Thumbs up

Take a step back in time to the 1930s where there were
    no organizations like WTO. The vicious and spiteful self-
    interest of national governments almost stopped all world
    trade after the stock market crash of 1929.
    Nations used tariffs (import taxes) to buy votes from
    fearful populations, making matters only worse.
    Countries like Japan suffered especially from tariffs,
    because they only survive because of trade, being
    heavily industrialized, with little agricultural land.
    Being unfairly excluded from markets, they decided to
    conquer China.

There is an old saying, "If goods do not cross borders, armies will"
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

rcgreen,
    im asking you this because i think you'll have an answer, i don't. and would like to hear the other side of this. i remember your very up on this and i started this thread to learn more about it. TIA

from what ive been seeing the wto forces countries not to favor their our nations industries over others. In owning drilling rigs, refineries or even gas stations. its open market. Dosnt this give the the major powers an unfair advantage. i mean how would an unfriendly takeover of a poorer nations resources help them.

The WTO really sucks. just like our "democracy" sucks if you are born poor or are an imigrant. The reason it is so unfair is becuase the small counties have no choice but to join. other wise they are snubbed by the rest of the world and can't possibly compete. the WTO forces the prices down on many exports. and if one of the exports is what your country depends on for the majority of its income then you are screwed. The WTO is alot like NAFTA or the North American Free Trade Agreement. basically NAFTA is like the WTO but it is only between Mexico US and Canada. NAFTA'a Laws are Above the laws of an individual country. which means that Mexican truckers can drive at what ever speed they want. and The police here can do nothing about it since it would hinder the Mexican Truckers ability to Compete with the other truckers. so if your ever in a fatal accident with a truck going over a 100 mile an hour just remember you allowed it this to happen. i could go on all day about how bad both those organizations are but i don't think you guys want to hear my gripes with capitalism.. what does some one who supports this stuff have to say????????

Any system where the power is taken away from the majority and given to the minority is a bad thing, it leads to more tunneled views on a subject. However it is our elected representitives whom go to these seminars - politicians - Ha! Would we be any better off without the WTO? A needed evil I think.

I couldn't be at genua (or genova or something) too bad..

as soon as the WTO comes to my part of the EU I'll be there protesting..
    PM me as soon as that happens.. That would be fun...
    PPL in AO shirts protesting against the WTO...

NL, BE or DE would do 4 me..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Lightbulb

good thread Tedob1.

Shangrila - actually the saying is " the LOVE of money is the root of all evil".

rcgreen - you have correctly stated the sad situation of being without international regulatory bodies. In fact looking at the last few thousand years of history, in almost every case, trade or the perceived injustice of one state over another has led to most wars.

Do I like the wto - it is a rich man's club. Do we need it - that requires further analysis.

Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.