Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to symantec ghost

Alternative to symantec ghost

Does anyone know of any windows and on the same note linux alternatives to symantec ghost i have downloaded a trial version and enjoyed it very much it made my job sysaming a hole 26 computers a lot easier i just dont have the funds to purchase it

I've never found a replacement for Ghost, if you like it, Buy It!
    It's a reasonable investment when you consider how much time and effort it saves you.

J.

alternative

There is 'Drive Image' by Powerquest.

www.powerquest.com

I agree...if you like Ghost, just buy it...it is not that expensive.

Also, what does this have to do with network security?

Imagecast 's IC3 does some of the same stuff.
    It's got some distribution options on top of that (like automation.)

Still I prefer ghost.

From my experience, I prefer Powerquest's DriveImage over Ghost.

DriveImage was a little more robust and had some more flexibility, especially in combination with PartitionMagic.

But then, I haven't used either product for a few months now ... (I can't say I miss replicating hard drives )

Cheers,

BrainStop

You can do the same thing with tools available in any linux distro. Check out
    http://www.samag.com/documents/s=116...004b/0004b.htm for some decent info on how to do it.

I'd recommend option C.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Originally posted by wab73
    Imagecast 's IC3 does some of the same stuff.
    It's got some distribution options on top of that (like automation.)

Still I prefer ghost.
    I agree with you wab73 !

Imagecast IC3 would be the nearest competitor to Ghost (according to them), but I have to admit that I prefer to use Ghost instead of Imagecast IC3. Mainly cause of that Im used to the tool and have many quiet good distribution solutions prepared for Ghost images.

When looking at DriveImage I felt like this was the perfect tool for the home user and Ghost more for the corporate user, but this can have changed since it was a while since I evaluated DriveImage.

Interesting link chsh. I have been speaking with some linux gurus who prepared whole classrooms (in a education center, linux, ms, novell) using imaging with linux and a websolution.. He logged in to the webserver and authenticated himself and choosed the image and computers who should be "prepared". Then he activated the whole thing and went back to the computers and booted them via a floppy and voila the process worked perfect.

Guess I have to see if I can get in contact with him and see what tools he used for the imaging.

Another good way to distribute images across the whole network are to use ZENworks
    for Desktops 3 Imaging. I have the solution but I have not used it in a real environment yet. Preferable when using this tool is to have a small linux partition with the imaging client on. I'll not go into any details but for those interested can read more here. or here.

buy it. It is a reliable product. Or you could just keep installing the trial version....
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

I have used a product called Paragon Drive Backup.

This works pretty well in a home user circumstance, the hardware that your restoring the system image onto has to be pretty much exactly the same as the hardware you took the image from (in my experience) which makes it not as scalable for a corporate environment unless you are very good at standardising your hardware build.

I was able to pick up a 'personal use' version for free from the cover of a PC User magazine here in 'Oz' so you may be able to get your hands on a free (although not the latest) version of course in a professional or corporate environment there is a cost.

see http://www.drive-backup.com/