Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US lawmakers target the web

Post US lawmakers target the web

US lawmakers target the web

US policymakers are proposing a series of measures that could be "destructive" to the internet-based economy, according to a new report.
    "While legislative attitudes in previous sessions of Congress were 'hands-off' in nature, the year 2001 saw policymakers shed their prior reluctance to consider regulating the net or cyberspace," wrote Wayne Crews and Adam Thierer, directors of technology and telecoms studies at the Cato Institute, a public policy research foundation.

The pair warned that legislators might adopt the telecoms paradigm of endless regulatory and legislative meddling for the technology sector.

"It appears that the tech sector may be pigeonholed into that paradigm simply because it offers a familiar set of rules and a bank of regulatory agencies that can be activated on demand," the authors wrote.

Crews and Thierer compiled a list of what they believe to be the 12 most misguided technology and telecoms legislative proposals of the 107th US Congress.

At the top of the "Terrible 12" is a bill that proposes another break-up of the US telecoms systems if they fail to meet certain performance standards.

The report also attacked a pair of bills that would facilitate greater antitrust scrutiny of baby Bell companies. Another bill cited in the report is a proposal to regulate electronic advertising and marketing activities.

Also included in the dozen are bills that seek to prohibit online gambling and regulate unsolicited email, and another that proposes the creation of a potentially meddlesome tax credit regime to spur broadband deployment.

The report mentioned legislation that would force the major record labels to license digital music to all webcasters under the same terms, and a bill that would authorise a multi-state cartel that could impose taxes on the internet.

The 12 bills have been dubbed "destructive" because they aim to increase government involvement in the technology or telecoms sector; threaten the civil liberties of US citizens; or promote regulatory decision making over the voluntary action of industry players, the report said.

http://www.vnunet.com/News/1128932
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...

Jesus, I can't believe I'm spending money for them to debate this.
    Alternate realities celebrate reality. If you cant handle the reality your in, then you wont be able to handle the one your attempting to escape to.

Yeah, it's pretty sad eh? Want to talk about spending money? Check out the other article I posted about Bush and Tech spending: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=217772

I wonder if these leaders even understand how the internet works? They are probably using web tv from their giant mansions that our taxes pay for.

Then why don't you vote them out of office? Or lobby someone who is old enough to vote them out of office. You're not stuck with these people.

Just a question. I mean if you're 18, you should vote your conscience.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Originally posted by KorpDeath
    Then why don't you vote them out of office? Or lobby someone who is old enough to vote them out of office. You're not stuck with these people.

Just a question. I mean if you're 18, you should vote your conscience.
    True but a vote for the lesser evil is still a vote for evil

Originally posted by dspeidel

True but a vote for the lesser evil is still a vote for evil
    Then I guess we need to change the way people think. And there are many people who run for office who aren't evil, you just don't hear about those people cause they aren't having to appear in front of Congress on some scandal.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Well the electoral college limits our vote anyways.
    Popular vote isn't any better. Picture Florida times 50.
    I think the electoral college should be broken down into congressional divisions like Nebraska and Maine are. Then our votes would count more.
    I live in Bush country so there is no way in hell anyone else has a chance.

I do vote. But I do agree with dspeidel on the lesser of two evils. I just think that our system is really messed up. Check out what this guy is going through just to question income tax laws: http://www.givemeliberty.org All he wants is the government to answer some questions and they keep giving him and his organization the run around.

However, I still vote, because if I didn't vote, then I couldn't complain.

Write your congressmen and let them know how you feel, too.

Sometimes, just sometimes, you'll get them to respond if your letter is thoughtful and intelligent.
    - Samuel Johnson

Thumbs up

good replies all. Voting and writing elected reps are part of our system and and good part for although it may seem not to do much sometimes, there are many others who have no right or ability to complain 'round this globe of ours.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.