Thread: April Fools Day Trick......

April Fools Day Trick......

April Fools is right around the corner. This is the one time of year that you are "allowed" to play tircks on people. Try playing this little trick on a friend or enemies PC. This trick will make every web page that your friend frequently visits go to any other page of your choice. (got that ??) Microsoft's method of host name resolution is in the following order:

Localhost, Host, DNS, WINS, Broadcast, LMHost.
    Easy to Remember: (Lets Have Dinner When Betty Leaves)

This means that your PC checks your local host file before sending its query to a DNS server to resolve an Internet address, or any host name for that matter. So if you edit the Host file on a "victims" computer with say, the an entry like this.

216.115.108.243 www.google.com
    (this is yahoo.com's IP)

Everytime your friend tries to go to google.com he is directed to yahoo.com. Imagine the possiblities....... It is especially funny if your firend frequently visits different news sites, like msnbc.com, cnn.com, eyewitnessnews.com, you can jumble all of the Ip addresses and host names up so that he\she will go to all the wrong sites, driving them crazy.

Steps to Pulling It Off.
    1. Find out what web sites your friend visits frequently. Either by looking at his history
    directory or by just watching him.
    2. Create a host file in notepad. Make sure that you save the file without any extention. Add
    your entries to screw up all of the web pages.
    3. Get control of his PC, either remotely or when he leaves his desk. (remotely may require a
    little more work, if it is a NT\2000 machine, try to map a drive letter to his hidden share. If
    Gixxer is his computer name, You would map \\Gixxer\c$)
    4. Rename his\her current host file to something else to restore at a later time.
    It is located in the c:\windows dir for win98 (I think);c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc folder
    for NT\2000 (I think); do a find for host.
    5. Copy your host file onto their PC, to the location above.
    6. Sit back and wait for the laughs.

A word of warning though, Payback Is A Bitch.

Anyone else have an IT related April Fools Joke to Play?

Tried this

I tried that re-direction trick some time ago.
    Drove the user nuts.

My favorite is to take a screenshot of the desktop;
    make it into a .bmp:
    Hide their icons
    and use the .bmp as wallpaper.

I have also thought of those things... Meee-an...
    One thing is that if the user has got a password at his screensaver move the pwd-box to very bottom right corner of the screen, so that not many pixels of it are visible. Then slighty resize the screen with those buttons at the monitor so that no pixels are seen - voilá! Seems like the user can't get the password window to open.

You can also use external programs, probably the best are get from RJL software, I have also tried them and they are quite nice...

-ZeroOne
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

A shut down script into the start up folder on Win98SE works like a charm. They go crazy trying to figure out why the machine shuts down after it boots up.
    LOL
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.