Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DOD PW Guidelines

Post DOD PW Guidelines

I just ran across this document not long ago. Its very interesting. I just though I would share it with the rest of you since is is security related. I hope you enjoy. Tell me what you think about this.

DOD Password Management Guideline
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

Talking

Good post Rogue.. That's alot of reading to do so
    I'll have to get back to you later on what my opinion
    on the article is.. I haven't read much of it but so far
    it's really intersting. Keep up the good werk.

Remote_Access_

heheh yeah i already had that but i didnt take it seariously after reading it coz as you seen in the document.. its damn old.. hehe but yeah... good source of information too..

btw i heard DoD is now using Biometrics Security System in almost all of their systems.. hehe

Originally posted by s0nIc
    heheh yeah i already had that but i didnt take it seariously

I thought it was a hoax of some sort but after reading it my opinion has changed. Only the DoD could come up with stuff like-

The best way of dealing with a compromised password is to change it....

LOL.....I think they need more funding!

Talking pass

4.1.2.1 Preventing Exposure

There are methods that can be implemented to prevent exposure of

a password to the SSO after it has been generated. One technique is to print

the user's password on a sealed multipart form in such a way that it is not

visible on the top page of the form. The SSO would then protect the sealed

password appropriately until it could be delivered to the user. In this case,

the password is generated randomly by the ADP system and is not known by the

SSO.

hehehe right...
    great post +greens
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

Heh. Just reviewing some of my posts. . . thought the new people on AO might like to see this one.
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

Just curious....why is it negative? All the posts that got AP's that I see got positive ones....

Deb
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Yeah, I read this before. It is a pretty good read, unfortunately, the link is dead. I liked it, and it could help come people be more secure, rogue made a good post. But does anybody have a working link?? I think it could still help people.

Banned
    I'm getting an Error 404 when i try to follow the link. Anyone else having this problem?

The Iceman Cometh
    Here's a working link to a text file of the DOD Password Management Guidelines (from the government, no less). Enjoy. :-)

http://csrc.nist.gov/secpubs/rainbow/std002.txt

AJ