Thread: Forum Idea

Forum Idea

I was just thinking about something. There should be some way of stopping these pointless threads. . . and then it hit me. . . Why not automatically assign -points to the thread creator if it has nothing to do with this site (as in Security, Newz, etc.) Its just a thought. We need some way to stop all these pointless threads. Just like this one. ; ) What do you guys think? Terr? Ennis? Anyone?
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

Re: Forum Idea

Originally posted by RogueSpy
    There should be some way of stopping these pointless threads.
    There is a way. Just don't start them. If you see a thread that you consider pointless than just don't reply.

Originally posted by RogueSpy
    Why not automatically assign -points to the thread creator if it has nothing to do with this site (as in Security, Newz, etc.)

Alot of users aren't concerned about antipoints anyway so I doubt the threat of -points will deter the "abusive" users...

Who decides what is and isn't an appropriate thread? What's pointless to someone else may be of importance to you and me...

Anyway, lets see what other people think....

But what criteria would you use to determine a 'pointless thread'? Most threads that have nothing to do with this site are good as they bring about good discussions about topics other than IT and some are just good for a chat or whatever.

I think the great think about AntiOnline is that if you can learn so much from some very useful threads and help others out, but on the other side, you can relax and chat about whatever is on your mind. By assigning negative points to 'pointless threads', people might be reluctant to post something non-relevent to security or whatever and it could have been a great topic in which many people could have contributed to and enjoyed discussing.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

Re: Forum Idea

Great. It appears that the slower the site gets and my double posting are somehow connected......