Thread: Morpheus hole false!

Morpheus hole false!

Several stories have been printed, leading with a story that was printed in the BBC Online, reporting a security leak in Morpheus. The report is not true - The report of a security hole in Morpheus is FALSE.

THIS REPORT IS FALSE

· The report was allegedly made by an “anonymous” security consultant. Neither this consultant nor any others have contacted StreamCast directly to report a breach in security.

· Several false postings have been made on behalf of StreamCast and Morpheus. One was reported by a source named Paul Sarsfield, who claimed to be a “Morpheus” employee. StreamCast does not employ any person by that name, nor have any StreamCast employees or company representatives posted any responses to this matter.

· There has never been a security breech in Morpheus since its introduction in April 2001.

ABOUT MORPHEUS

· Only Morpheus users are able to elect which files they want to share with the user network. To share files, Morpheus users must select a file folder which contains the files they want to share and check the box next to that file folder.

· StreamCast recommends that users place the files that they elect to share in their “My Shared Folder” within the Morpheus product. This ensures that the user doesn’t inadvertently share something private.

· All files in shared folders are accessible by any other Morpheus users. StreamCast reminds its’ users to be sure they are not sharing files they want to keep private or files that are copyrighted.

StreamCast Networks takes claims of this nature very seriously. Morpheus provides the best user experience available due to its ease of use, rapid download capabilities and persistent data. StreamCast is very committed to providing this technology product to consumers to give them a way to communicate and share information directly. Consumers agree - Morpheus has been downloaded over 60 million times in just 10 months.

-Source: Morpheus
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

I still dont' want people having access to a folder on my computer. Some day this P2p file sharing crap will die and hackers will once again be the scape goat.

Banned
    posted by freeOn
    I still dont' want people having access to a folder on my computer.Some day this P2p file sharing crap will die and hackers will once again be the scape goat..
    True, i think hacking will be the scapegoat, but...

File sharing right now is violating copyright laws, so eventually it will be banned, but you can't say it is "crap" because how is getting free movies/music/software/documents etc, crap? i think it is a stupid mistake that poeple are making ("sharing" files) and i will take full advantage of it untill it is abolished and save money that I don't have.

i agree with 5150.if you don't like that don't do it!!
    the only thing that doesn\'t change is everything will always change.

I think that the music/video industry have abused with their prices for too long, so now that htey know we can get everything for nothing they might recconsider their policies...
    i do think that p2p is a security risk but i don't think that it will dye out any time soon how could you stop it if it is not centralized and completely undepandant ? napster could be stoped 'cause it was centralized .... somting like bear share/limewire/gnutela... is user to user can the music industry enforce what ports are open on your pc? what software you are using ... doubtful
    assembly.... digital dna ?

Talking

See at this post:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...2&pagenumber=2

I had discovered funny stuffies. :-)
    What is essential is invisible
    to the eye ...
    ]ØÐÖ§|-|Å

I dont think that file sharing programs will ever be banned, who could they? It is not the fault of the owners of the Morpheus program that their piece of software is being used to transfer copyrighted material. I dont think any government could legislate against these programs, if they did then what would stop them from saying "Right, all Ferraris and other fast cars capable of breaking the speed limit will be banned". Just because something has the potential for being used to break a law does not mean it should be outlawed.

Banned
    but the copyright label says "unauthorized duplication or distribution" i think this really does violate copyright and eventually people will figure it out