Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: petition

petition

To follow my suggestion in the other thread.

Is anyone in favor of a petition here at ao and beyond to pressure our lawmakers to pass smart, balanced laws to better protect computer users and make sw companies more responsible??

<Gets WAY down in anti flame ditch and holds breath.>
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    This wouldn't be a bad idea, but unfortunately, AO isn't really big enough. Then again, what is. Our lawmakers haven't passed smart blanced laws when it deals wth anything. You see how they handle the Microsoft case. If they were to try and make companies develop better software, they would probably throw the Rainbow books at them, and say "follow these guidelines." It would end up backfireing, and probably putting a lot of software companies out of business.

Also, what do you consider "responsible"? User friendly? That would take out *nix. Secure? There goes Microsoft. Super configurable? There goes Mac. Looks like we are all going back to Amiga and C64....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

id sign a petition for it...i dont think well be able to do much, het hey, its worth a try, you never know
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

I think it's a great idea!!!! Better to stick your head out of your shell and try something than to just say oh well it wont matter because of this or that reason. I would participate as well.

Oh I can see the task force of negative antipoint bombers headed our way already.

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    Well, I think that there is enough laws concerning computer crimes. Of course I don't run my own buissness.But the company that I do work for was recently attaked by hackers knocking
    offline alot of our routers and webservers. We lost a few customers but nothing huge.We took care of it without pussin out to the feds or cops. I belive in you get what you deserve.
    These guys didnt deserve to go to jail. Computer crimes arent violent crimes.... I WOULD sign a petition to lower punishment for hackers that don't really harm anything. I dunno if you guys agree, seeing as how this site is pretty much ANTIHACKER....but this is MY opinion. And opinions are like *******'s and computers........we've all got one.
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

Thumbs up

I'd sign it. I think the government is getting out of hand with the punishments for some of the crimes, justifying their actions under the premise of terrorism. Doing nothing will only ensure nothing changes....IMHO.
    \"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I\'m not sure about the former.\" -- Albert Einstein

Atlast, some constructive activities!!!! Man, go for it, I would sign!
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

A little activism never hurt anyone. I'm for it.

Just as long as it doesn't turn into some sort of militant movement.....(j/k)
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Re: petition

Originally posted by gold eagle
    To follow my suggestion in the other thread.

Is anyone in favor of a petition here at ao and beyond to pressure our lawmakers to pass smart, balanced laws to better protect computer users and make sw companies more responsible??

<Gets WAY down in anti flame ditch and holds breath.>
    I would have to wait and see how its worded. There is a big diffrence in how some poeple percieve "smart" and "responsable". This would be a good forum for such a petition because most of us are computer professionals of some type.

I'd add my name to the list too. Might be interesting to forward the results to more than the one government though! AO has users from all over the globe.