Thread: Robot wars for real

Robot wars for real

Why oh why don´t I have a job where I get to play with robots and ****???
    Here´s the article I´m refering to.
    Based down like this. There are two kinds of robots, prey and predator. Prey robots get their power from solar panels and the predators can extract power from the prey. BUT they have to hunt them down first
    After a given time the surviving robots get to upload their accumulated experience or "electronic genes" as it´s named in the article. Then they have a go at it again.
    Is it possible that they will evolve? "Hunt in packs" as Noel Sharkey says.
    Would be damn cool
    Dear Santa, I liked the mp3 player I got but next christmas I want a SA-7 surface to air missile

Is this "real" just like professional wrestling is "real"?

--PhirePhreak
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

lol,
    this is one cool idea...
    a friend of mine once made a bunch of "roach" bots.. they communicated with ir and could search the batery loader themselves with ir to..
    they loaded the batery's with their antenae..
    they were realy cool but with their 8mb of memory not very smart though
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

This is a great experiment I think, I saw a short article on this on TV the other night. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out in the end. Though in the future the idea of giving a computer the ability to evolve and actually learn rather than just performing tasks asked of it is to my mind dangerous. The Terminator film touched on this subject as did a book by Dean Koontz (film adaptation starred Julie Christie) though I forget the name.

Honestly, this scares the piss out of me. I think AI is a totally bad idea. Remember what happened in Terminator and The Matrix? Scary stuff happens when we give robots the ability to become superior to us. BAD IDEA!!!
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

Found their homepage, click on the robotic center link and voila
    click on the "robotic centre" link
    Ok, so this has the potential to become our biggest worst nightmare. But I still think it´s cool hehe
    Dear Santa, I liked the mp3 player I got but next christmas I want a SA-7 surface to air missile

well we actually have a show here in sydney called "robot wars" and yeah.. its robots battling eachother.. the rule is.. who ever robot gets fliped upside down looses.. and one one remainin upright wins..

s0nic: The show started in Britain and was exported to USA last year or something like that. China and Japan has one too.
    And professor Noel Sharky, head of the "real robot wars", is one of the judges in the British TV show.