My Alcatel speedtouch home DSL modem (or router... jsut what you want to call it) keeps getting disconnected from my isp. (the router itself crashes. ) After rebooting the modem everything works fine again.
thinking this is caused by some script kid(s) using flooders or DOS attacks i've tightened the surity on my firewall (instaled on my gateway/proxy) trying to block (allmost) everything coming in including all icmp traffic. (only 5 tcp/udp ports open)
Also am using NAT (blocking packets that not originated from NAT) so technically everything should be pretty secure. (right?) On my network that is.

the crash still occurs (which i think is not strange when the firewall is installed on the proxy machine and not on the modem itself.)
I also know that it is possible to install NAT and a firewall on the modem itself (by changing the firmware to the speedtouch pro version... ) but my isp tells me they will disconnect me when i do this. lamers...

Is there a way to tell if this is really caused by attacks? my logs don't tell me a thing.
it seems the offending packets don't get through to my network card (and just crash my modem), so i can't see what's really happening to my connection???? (dunno that for sure..)

alcatel knows, but they don't have any suggestion to help. seems they don't want to support someone who spend about $800 for a router. they want to sell me another (more expensive) router (which is not even supported by my isp.)

any suggestions ?