Thread: Alcatel speedtouch question..

Question Alcatel speedtouch question..

My Alcatel speedtouch home DSL modem (or router... jsut what you want to call it) keeps getting disconnected from my isp. (the router itself crashes. ) After rebooting the modem everything works fine again.
    thinking this is caused by some script kid(s) using flooders or DOS attacks i've tightened the surity on my firewall (instaled on my gateway/proxy) trying to block (allmost) everything coming in including all icmp traffic. (only 5 tcp/udp ports open)
    Also am using NAT (blocking packets that not originated from NAT) so technically everything should be pretty secure. (right?) On my network that is.

the crash still occurs (which i think is not strange when the firewall is installed on the proxy machine and not on the modem itself.)
    I also know that it is possible to install NAT and a firewall on the modem itself (by changing the firmware to the speedtouch pro version... ) but my isp tells me they will disconnect me when i do this. lamers...

Is there a way to tell if this is really caused by attacks? my logs don't tell me a thing.
    it seems the offending packets don't get through to my network card (and just crash my modem), so i can't see what's really happening to my connection???? (dunno that for sure..)

alcatel knows, but they don't have any suggestion to help. seems they don't want to support someone who spend about $800 for a router. they want to sell me another (more expensive) router (which is not even supported by my isp.)

any suggestions ?

Banned
    I hope you didn't spend $800 on the Alcatel Speed Touch Home-modem, because that's three times too much

Just upgrade the thing to the Pro Version: here's how to do it. And here's another one (in Dutch). I don't see how your ISP can disconnect you after doing this.

Talking

well erh.. ok..
    i spend 800 guilders...
    But it still is a lot of money ! (and still way more than a third of $800 !@@!)

Banned
    About 400 Euros? I bought mine three months ago for 250 Euros Available at any Belgacom-shop in Belgium

I almost started using some words i think will get me kicked from this forum.
    who knows?

Hi mom!
    You're talking about that usb, green/blue weird-shaped modem, right? That thing gave me troubles too (kept disconnecting, sometimes four, five times in a day. After I updated the drivers from alcatel's site, it got a little better - and about two weeks later, it stopped disconnecting all af a sudden - not a clue what I did, but now, it works fine...
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

I'm having trouble with the ethernet version. (the black one)
    Someone warned me about the usb version in advance...
    but they seem both insecure...
    for more info try the links supplied by Negative.. (thanx Negative!)
    who knows?

Originally posted by wab73
    I'm having trouble with the ethernet version. (the black one)
    Someone warned me about the usb version in advance...
    but they seem both insecure...
    for more info try the links supplied by Negative.. (thanx Negative!)

Hi there i have also the speed touch adsl modem[mxstream]and a xDSL router from Sitecom.
    I had to upgrade the firmware from both of them to make the combi.modem/router work!
    Before i bought the router it worked fine.

Firmware update modem:mxstream.nl
    Firmware router call Sitecom and they will mail you the upgrade

Good luck
    i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Hey, I have the ADSL speed touch home from Alcatel (bought for about 230 Euro) it works fine. But when I installed my linux firewall I had also a disconnecting problem, everytime this occured I had to cold reboot the modem/router. I figured out (together with Vorlin) that it was a "speed" problem, the LAN port of your Alcatel Speed Touch is 10Mbps while many NIC's are 10/100 full duplex. Therefor try setting your WAN NIC in your firewall to 10 Full or 10 half duplex. At 10 half duplex the thing is pretty stable. This solution worked for me...no diffucult or costy upgrade, just set your NIC to the appropriate setting: Alcatel to 10 half and NIC to 10 half.

KPN sent me the green usb modem first, but I had em change it for the speed touch.
    Now I heard the speed touch has built in routing, but still I got me a Linksys router that enables NAT. The Linksys is a blessing because I can login pptp using a web interface from any computer on my network and then have it DHCP over my switch. Imagine if I had to configure it for 4 OS's.
    That would have been a nightmare. And I got a OpenBSD box as a firewall with IPF.